Thread: Filming Lens for Canon 550d

Default Filming Lens for Canon 550d

Hey everyone,

Currently i have a 50mm f1.4 for my Canon 550d. Makes it really hard to film as it automatically zooms in loads.

Im looking for a good lens for a price around 100-300. Will be used for short films. Just need something which is a good general lens.

Cheers

2. Default

Sigma 24 - 70 2.8 is a great lens, I use it quite a lot as I can go wider towards 24 or longer towards 70 if I need to and is a constant 2.8 aperture along the zoom range. Ebay search link - Sigma 24 - 70 You might be able to find one in your price range if you look around.

Quote Originally Posted by Enaver View Post
    Hey everyone,

Currently i have a 50mm f1.4 for my Canon 550d. Makes it really hard to film as it automatically zooms in loads.

Im looking for a good lens for a price around 100-300. Will be used for short films. Just need something which is a good general lens.

Cheers
    I have this same lens and I know what you mean!
    I find this is a great lens for filming BUT: you need to have your cam on a tripod or steady surface.

Quote Originally Posted by mkkid28 View Post
    Sigma 24 - 70 2.8 is a great lens, I use it quite a lot as I can go wider towards 24 or longer towards 70 if I need to and is a constant 2.8 aperture along the zoom range. Ebay search link - Sigma 24 - 70 You might be able to find one in your price range if you look around.
    Another good cheap lens to consider might be the sigma 18-200mm I have this and I find it very useful for many purposes.
    A problem could (and has) occur with lens creep and chromatic abbreviation, so as long as you are not filming for hollywood this lens is ok... And reasonably cheap.

Hope this helps...

4. Default

What did you end up getting Enaver (presuming you still use the forum and camera).

I'm still using the 550D for my work since I've not been able to afford to upgrade, I still use the 24 - 70 as my go to lens but I also own a Samyang 14mm 28 and a Samyang 85mm 1.4 as well.

Samyang lenses are brilliant for video, and really affordable too. I've got the Samyang 8mm FishEye. You want to make sure you get there video lenses though because these have manual aperture controls, which are brilliant. They're completely manual lenses, so if your comfortable using manual focus and manual aperture you'll be fine.

They may sound like a cheap, rubbish brand, but the quality is there.

Isn't there a 18-55 cheapo lens in the Canon range?

This is a popular zoom, although not quite up to the f/1.4 - but entirely suitable for daylight and pretty good for indoors too as the Canon has a decent size sensor.