Thread: Suba Dive

Default Scuba Dive

I made this for a local Scuba diving club.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 08-08-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Updated Video

Blog Entries

Bloody Hell Midnight! I'm impressed.

I liked the pace and the style. I really liked the way you lit the interview shot and it had the right mix of information to pictures.

The rest is nitpicking. You know the coda but I'll say it anyway. There's a lot of small stuff because the main part is spot-on.

Composition is a personal thing and I would have given the speaker a bit less headroom and probably tightened up the shot a smidge, putting her slightly further frame right.
    Another of my personal opinions is that one of the cuts back to the speaker at the section where the student is trying on the gear is unnecessary. We've seen the speaker for a while and now we just need to see what she's talking about. It's only if the action goes on for a while that you need to remind us what the speaker looks like.
    I really liked the way you used the images to illustrate what the instructor was saying. It worked really well.
    I liked the way the music came in, just at the right place but for my taste the music was a tad loud from about 1:25 to about 1:53. Not much but at the start of the water session, it was sometimes a bit dominant when the woman was speaking.
    I thought some of the edits in the underwater sequence could be tightened up a tad and some of the footage was a bit unstable for my liking. I say this, having never, ever shot anything underwater but my misses has, so I know that it's not at all easy. So, respect for doing it, but next time do it better!

Summary: Excellent job, the client should be very, very, pleased.

Let me come clean about the under water shots. I didn't shoot them. I wanted to but they wouldn't let me because they said "you have to reach a certain level in diving before you can do that sort of thing". The two people who did the under water shots are experienced divers but not experienced camera people so I gave them some direction and hoped for the best. I think they did a good job, yes some of the shots where wobbly and I tried to edit out the worst but all credit to them for what they did.

I'm glad you liked the lighting on the interview it as I was shooting it in my own garden I thought I'd use every thing I had to hand. I know to some people it seems odd to use a load of lights when shooting outside but it was late evening on a dull night so I needed to and wanted to see what I could do. I even lit the background with a pair of work lights.

I have very little experience in editing this sort of video so I wasn't sure about how much interview and live action to mix I just put a bit of her at the begining and end of each section, On reflection I need to take another look at that. I'll take a look at the music levels as this is a personal hate of mine and when you've been with a piece for a while you can loose that objectivity.

I'm not sure I agree about the composition of the interviewee as this is not a personal interview ie talking about self otherwise I would have gone tighter for that type of interview.

Thanks Rob.

I've just looked back at it and now agree on the framing of the lady in the interview.

Blog Entries

Can't find much to add to Rob's appraisal. I agree with everything he said. I can't disagree with him about lighting as he's the man when it comes to this, but I really liked the way she was lit naturally but backlit by what looked a lot like (and may well have been) a lovely golden glow of the sun. Was it real? Was it shot as the sun was low in the sky?

As for his comment about headroom - I don't think Ro is suggesting you should have cut closer, rather that the eyes were a bit too close to the halfway mark rather than on the line bisecting the upper two thirds. [EDIT} You responded whilst I was typing!

Whilst she was a lovely lady and certainly would inspire confidence in me if I was to consider a Try-Dive, her calm manner rather played down the excitement that I thought this should be generating. Her manner was idea for an instructional vide, where you're definitely not trying to hype the experience, but this was more of a promo. Obviously that's not your fault and the client would have chosen her for a reason.
    I would have liked a caption with her name and position, I like to know who is talking to me, even when the name means nothing to me (again this may have been the client's decision, but i think it was wrong).
    Tim

I never even thought of of a name caption. It wasn't so much as she was chosen, she kind of agreed to do the pool bit and was talked into the rest. She turned up at my house the other night and the first thing she said was I don't really want to do this, I've only got an hour etc... I managed to calm her down and in the end thought she came across quite well. I take your point about lack of excitement and to be honest I'm out of ideas as to how to make it more exiting. They, the client, wanted to put across the idea that it's fun but very safe to do.

It was a back light there was no sun that night.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 08-04-2011 at 10:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Wow, you and she did really well if you only had an hour and her starting pont was she didn't want to do it! I don't think it's up to you to do any more to make it more exciting - and I don't think she does a bad job, it's just ... she does the "safe" bit very well and looks like she smiles a lot (with her eyes as well) which says "friendly". What she says just lacks a bit of pizzazz. And that comes across as flat when just about everuthing else is sold to us as "awsome", "amazing" and "better than sex".
    Tim

Wow, you and she did really well if you only had an hour
    You don't know the half of it, We also only had an hour to do the shoot at the pool half of that time was wasted with an intro to the kit session before the pool section. I was running around like a man of my age and stature should never have to do.

I got an email from them tonight, they want some changes, just a bit saying about going to the social club afterwards for a drink, so I took the opportunity to reframe those shots. They look much better.

Thanks for the input guys, you really help me to make my videos better.