Thread: Opening *.ts Files With Vegas

1. Default Opening *.ts Files With Vegas

Would anyone please be able to let me know if Sony Vegas Pro v10 can open 8.ts files? I have a recording in *.ts file format and cannot get Vegas to open it? Do I need to install any additional codecs or is the ts file type just not supported in Vegas?

The recording was made using a satellite receiver which records in ts file format. I have copied the ts file to my local PC and tried the "Import DVD Camcorder Disc...." but it is stuck on the message no disc found.

VLC Player will play the file OK and it can also be opened by Adobe Premiere, however, I am more familiar with Vegas editing so really would prefer to get it opened in Vegas.

Last edited by wet bimbette; 08-04-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Not sure if this will work but you could try changing the name of the files form .ts to mpg and then open Vegas use the explorer to brows to the folder and drag the files to the timeline.

Hope this works for you.

3. Default

Midnight Blue,

Thx for the reply.

I have tried the renaming to mpg and also tried both dragging and dropping and importing/opening the mpg version but no success. I thought that it might be the file size (3gb) so I recorded a smaller video (50mb) and repeated all the above with the smaller size file and still no luck.

Both Avidemux and Adobe Premiere open the ts file OK without a glitch but Vegas just will not do it, surely, there has to be a solution for this, I find it amazing that a $600 video editing application cannot open a *.ts file on a local PC when rival software including free software will do so.

wet bimbette

Try tsMuxeR and convert the .ts files into some more edible.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Try tsMuxeR and convert the .ts files into some more edible.

Midnight Blue,

Thx for the tip re the tsmuxer.

I can convert the files with Adobe Premiere as it opens them OK. However, I had hoped to avoud having to convert them just in case there was a degradation of quality introduced by the conversion?

Would you know if tsmuxer converts without loss of quality?

I don't know I just came across it from Google. I'm sure this question has come up before. Have you done a search on the site for this problem.

7. Default

OK, some success, the tsmuxer program converted the files to a new version of the ts file and it imports to Vegas OK.

It is still the same file extension etc but now it imports. I will give it a go with the 3gb file to see how it sucks that one.

Thx for your help, the muxer works OK all I need to do is to check the video quality and if it is OK it provides a workaround.

Hi All,
    I'm new to the site after searching for "converting .ts files for Sony Vegas" and was hoping someone might be able to help.
    I'm trying to use .ts files on Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0. I have VLC and need to convert first...wet bimbette, do you know what settings you used...I'm looking at Encapsulation, Video Codec & Audio Codec, unsure of the rates etc.