Thread: 1st Motion Graphics Promo

Default 1st Motion Graphics Promo

Whilst I've used motion in lots of my videos, I'd never done a promo entirely using Motion. LoveFootballGambling.com wanted me to do an online promo video for their website and it had to be for less than 1000.

Video Production Services Company UK London

Sorry to say this but it's a bit dull. I think the pace needs bringing up. eg. the numbers scrolling and then spelling out Love Football & then the same thing happened again spelling out Love Gambling. Visually it looked good but should have been edited so they happen at the same time. Then you seem to hold on to the shots for too long example at around 25 seconds you hold this shot for about 3 seconds, I think it needs cutting to, at the most 2 seconds. Same with when the logo changes to the website logo at 28 seconds this is held too long. There are other examples but I think you get my point.

If your getting paid for this then well done to you for getting paid work. It's more than I can seem to do.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure I agree with Midnight's first point - I have lttle brain and could probably not manage to concemntrate on two spinning sets of words at the same time! But my main concern is with the second half. All that zooming in and out is reminiscent of amateur home moview. It might be OK, even desirable, for a tutorial, but for an add much faster cutting between different shots of the screen with zany angles etc would be much more lively.
    Tim

Good points from both of you and I'll take those into the next one I do.

Blog Entries

Well, I'll be blunt. If I'd spent 1k on an internet promo, I'd expect a lot better than that.

All of Midnight's points are valid and I would expect a reasonably competent graphics bod to whip that out in half a day.

It lacks sparkle and originality and there's no way I would watch it in full. I'd have clicked onto something new after ten seconds.

Luckily there are people who are easier to please than you out there Rob

Blog Entries

You only really know if you've pleased a client if they book you for the next job and don't demand a discount.

Edit: I'm not trying to be nasty, just pointing out that, in the harsh commercial world, this isn't a 1k job, at most a 300 job.
    It's better that you hear it here, rather than the client, talking behind your back, decides that they're not getting value for money and takes their 10k job somewhere else.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 08-04-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Exactly this is not the first job I've done for them and they didn't demand a discount, so I guess that means they're happy. I didn't take your comment as nasty, I appreciate any criticism good or bad. The fact is value in the creative world is purely subjective, if I was working for you on this you wouldn't have paid more than 300, they actually ended up paying 700 as I thought that was a fair price.

As I mentioned, it's the first time I've used entirely motion graphics for a video and I welcome your comments on the next one I post.