Thread: My latest short film,any feedback would be great!

Default My latest short film,any feedback would be great!

Hi guys,another boxing vid I am afrad .

Made this short vid for boxing trainer Darren Wilson.He wanted a vid to show him demonstraighting different ways to train in the gym.

Tried to use all the tips and pointers that have been mentioned in my other vids.

What do you guys think?

Blog Entries

I think it shows an improvement on some of your previous stuff. The sound was good and fitted well with the images.

Darren obviously loves himself, so if he's the client, he'll love the video. Invoice paid, job done!

For me it went on a bit but that's only because it doesn't actually inform us of anything and a middle-aged bloke with a baseball cap isn't enough eye-candy to keep the interest going to the end!

(Watch out for your reflections in the mirror though. Oh, and maybe wear black when filming, not bad-taste shorts, or shave your legs!)

All in all though, I think it's a well shot, nicely edited video.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 08-03-2011 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    I think it shows an improvement on some of your previous stuff. The sound was good and fitted well with the images.

Darren obviously loves himself, so if he's the client, he'll love the video. Invoice paid, job done!

For me it went on a bit but that's only because it doesn't actually inform us of anything and a middle-aged bloke with a baseball cap isn't enough eye-candy to keep the interest going to the end!

(Watch out for your reflections in the mirror though. Oh, and maybe wear black when filming, not bad-taste shorts, or shave your legs!)

All in all though, I think it's a well shot, nicely edited video.
    Thanks for the feedback,I liked your comment "Darren loves himself"

I think he wanted the video just to show clients that he could do all the exercises that he askes them to do.I did want to have him describe each exercise but he did not like that idea and just wanted it of him doing a bit of training.

Also for the record,Darren is 30 years old.

Blog Entries

What I meant was, for anyone who doesn't know Darren, he's not young and pretty enough to carry the visuals on his own. This isn't a "gay" thing by the way! What I mean is that a good looking young bloke is easy on the eye, in a music video or a training video. For example, In another of your vids, a young boxer does the exercises. That bloke is more enjoyable to watch than Darren because he's simply better looking.
    I definitely think that Darren should have lost the baseball cap though.

I agree with you that having Darren describing what he's doing would make it far more interesting but if he's the customer... The customer gets what the customer wants.

I think these sorts of videos are notoriously difficult to get right. You did a fair job BUT it's not perfect. I might have been good to have a voice over explaining that hitting a tyre with a sledge hammer will build up this and that muscle etc. The music track was right for what you did but it was badly distorted ie it started peaking and just got worse.

I like the different camera angles you did but I think a couple of extreme close ups of sweat dripping off his nose etc. would have been good.

I agree that a voiceover would have been good but as I said in my other post Darren just want footage of himself training.I did give him a few options on what else could be added to the vid but Darren liked it as it was.

The customer is always right,is he?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I think these sorts of videos are notoriously difficult to get right. You did a fair job BUT it's not perfect. I might have been good to have a voice over explaining that hitting a tyre with a sledge hammer will build up this and that muscle etc. The music track was right for what you did but it was badly distorted ie it started peaking and just got worse.

I like the different camera angles you did but I think a couple of extreme close ups of sweat dripping off his nose etc. would have been good.

I thought the timing and the pace was excellent. I think it would make a great section in-between more narrative sections rather than evolving to become one.

David.

Blog Entries

I thought it was good. Commentary would have slowed it down - you'd have had to spend much longer on each exercise.
    The music was perfect buit I really don't think Messrs Kilminster & co would be too happy having that credited to Sam Crow. It's not just a chord sequence, it's the whole thing minus the vocals.
    You will need to pay royalties for that.
    Tim