Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Box (FIRST POST!)

Default Mystery Box (FIRST POST!)

Hey everyone, my name is David, and I'm new here. I just completed grade 12 a month ago, I've been making stuff for a few years now, but the last year was the first one where I actually got a proper computer and camera, and started to take things more seriously, and now I'm headed to film school in september. =) I thought I'd finally set up an account on the forums and post some of my stuff, since I've been using this site for about a year now. Since we can't post more than one video at a time, I guess I'll start with posting Mystery Box, my most recent short, which is about a guy who gets sent to a place called Mystery Box, to face his greatest fear of being watched. It was originally a story I heard on a podcast, that I liked so much as to adapt it and change it to be suited for actual web video. I'm actually pretty proud of it... I showed it at my last Grade 12 assembly, at the end of the school year, and teachers said it was the best thing they've ever seen there, and the video course teacher said that instead of having the next year grade 11 class do the shot for shot Lord of the Rings project, they'd be doing Mystery Box, since they wouldn't be able to pull off the shots and stuff. Although.. I know there is some things I could improve on.. like story telling and such, I'm not hugely interested in those though, my focus is cinematography, VFX, Sound Design/Editing. and Editing.

Anyway, enjoy the below video below, some constructive criticism on anything in the video would be great.

Mystery Box
    Last edited by davidbouhs; 08-04-2011 at 08:00 AM.

One video per thread? That's retarded.... I'm assuming I should be making 4 separate threads all at once to post my videos?
    Last edited by davidbouhs; 08-04-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Blog Entries

If you post in the user videos section, we ask that you post one video per thread. That way a critique becomes much more straightforward. This section is designed for critical assessment of a specific video, and one video per thread helps achieve this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    If you post in the user videos section, we ask that you post one video per thread. That way a critique becomes much more straightforward. This section is designed for critical assessment of a specific video, and one video per thread helps achieve this.
    That's fine, but for this situation, I think a few videos would've been fine, as it'd be a first post and I'd be showing some work as a new user. Btw, Why isn't my title being changed to Mystery Box, I edited it..

Blog Entries

One per thread David - yeah - I've seen folk post 5 skateboard videos in one thread and then expect a crit on each one... just gets confusing.

To this one - Like it. Nicely filmed and edited, good framing and thoughtfully done. For me the music is a touch over the top but I can see what you're trying to achieve. Only other thing I'd say is the footage did look a little washed out (on this screen at least) not alot mind you, I'd probably give the contast up and brightness down a tickle if it were me just to bring some vibrancy out.

Great effort though - keep posting (1 per thread lol) I'd like to see what else you've done.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    One per thread David - yeah - I've seen folk post 5 skateboard videos in one thread and then expect a crit on each one... just gets confusing.

To this one - Like it. Nicely filmed and edited, good framing and thoughtfully done. For me the music is a touch over the top but I can see what you're trying to achieve. Only other thing I'd say is the footage did look a little washed out (on this screen at least) not alot mind you, I'd probably give the contast up and brightness down a tickle if it were me just to bring some vibrancy out.

Great effort though - keep posting (1 per thread lol) I'd like to see what else you've done.
    I'm still trying to master colour correction/grading, I can't seem to find a look that i like yet. I might go out and shoot some footage to do some tests. Is there anywhere you know of that has good colour grading tutorials?? Final Cut Pro, Apple Color, or After Effects are the options I have for colour grading.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davidbouhs View Post
    I'm still trying to master colour correction/grading...
    It's one of those things that some people seem to nail perfectly... I'd have to put my hands up and admit to being self taught to an extent. Since grading is really going to be dependant upon what the source material is like, and although tut's would be helpful as a guide, the best thing for me is just to spend protracted hours in my studio with lots of coffee and fags playing with footage until I get what I like. Learning this way I find serves me better than being spoonfed. I rarely remember when I learn that way.

I can recommend "The Art and Technique of Digital Color Correction" by Steve Hullfish. There's plenty on Apple Colour and After Effects (Colour Finesse) in there.

David.

Blog Entries

That's fine, but for this situation, I think a few videos would've been fine, as it'd be a first post and I'd be showing some work as a new user.
    It's a rule that we've collectively agreed to. It makes it easier for us, as commentators, to give you feedback. This means you're more likely to get useful feedback - something which is a rare commodity. There's a reason people come back time and time again to get feedback here, and part of that reason is this structured rule.

Btw, Why isn't my title being changed to Mystery Box, I edited it..
    You ammended the post title and not the thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    It's one of those things that some people seem to nail perfectly... I'd have to put my hands up and admit to being self taught to an extent. Since grading is really going to be dependant upon what the source material is like, and although tut's would be helpful as a guide, the best thing for me is just to spend protracted hours in my studio with lots of coffee and fags playing with footage until I get what I like. Learning this way I find serves me better than being spoonfed. I rarely remember when I learn that way.
    I agree, I basically learned Final Cit Pro that way, and to a certain extent, AE. Though with colour grading, I can never manage to keep skin tones not looking retarded, or the video looking good on every screen it goes on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast