Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new

1. Default new

hey im new, i think im pretty capable when it comes to editing, just thought show up some of my films.

[video channel link deleted]

check it it out
    Last edited by TimStannard; 08-01-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Blog Entries

I think your films may be worthy of comment but I'm going to refuse to until you show enough respect to read the rules: specifically - Do not post channels. Post One video per thread.
    The rules serve a very good purpose, please abide by them.
    Tim

3. Default

oh sorry i didnt relise, i wont make the mistake again, thanks for letting me know

Blog Entries

So. let's 'av'em then. One film per thread....
    Tim

5. Default

okay well my newest film is this 'lost inside' the film is about a young women who suffers from Agoraphobia, the film is about her struggle to overcome this fear, i know it feels sketchy at times, this simply because the film was shot short notice and lacked planning.

Blog Entries

Great effort!
    A good strong start leading into what I thought was a very clever way of introducing the problem. I liked the contrast between the way you depicted the very decisive way (good use of sound here as well) in which she handled all the other tasks on her list and the brick wall she hits every time she reaches "go outside". I particularly liked the deliberate overexposure every time she was considering/looking at going out. But then sometimes you used if for other shots (eg washing up) and I found that rather strange (or perhaps i lost the significance)

I thought it lost its way a bit in the middle - the film seemed to lack pace here - exactly where it needed a "lift" (if you're going for classic that "W" shape with high points at beginning end and middle).

I was a bit confused by your decision when to use a steady camera and when to use the slightly wobbly handheld look. I'm not a fan of teh handheld look unless there is a particular motivation, and I think her nervousness (phobia) is a perfect example of when to use it. Your use was generally, but not entirely consistent with that - ie houshold chores were shot steady, shots approaching the outside world, wobbly. I would have shot her sitting in the almost foetal position hand-held. I certainly would have shout here dream/vision of the flora - ie what she was missing - with a steady shot as, I presume anyway, this is one of the major factors which prompts her to go outside. But it's your call.

Most shots were well thought out and well composed. Cleanly edited. I think you have a talent that you need to build on.
    Tim

7. Default

i enjoyed watching that. nice job.

8. Default

thanks guys i apriciate the feedback, yeh most of the problems have come from me having to rush the film.

i actualy thought the feedback wouldnt be so possitive, i was fairly disapointed by the film. thanks guys.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shaymcgreal View Post
    i actualy thought the feedback wouldnt be so possitive,
    Don't worry. I'm sure others will pick holes, if my negative comments weren't enough. We don't like to totally destroy someone's first film posted here when it is clear they have worked hard on it and are looking for constructive criticism. And I can't really lay into any film which opens with a girl in a Led Zeppelin tee-shirt.

It is as it should be if you are your harshest critic.

i was fairly disapointed by the film. thanks guys.[/QUOTE]
    Tim

I liked the general idea. Can you tell me. the purpose of the over exposed shots. At first I thought they were just poor camera work but then at the end I see you used the over exposure to prevent us seeing the outdside world. Is that about right. Like Tim I thought the pace could have done to be a bit snappyer in places. I also think you should have put the camera on a tripod for some of the wobbly shots, especially the close ups. I thought the sound was done well.

I like that you had depth of field for a purpose ie scanning the "to do list" and not just because you have a DSLR and everything has to have a shallow DoF.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast