Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squeeeeeeezing More Video onto a DVD - Part One

Blog Entries

I am no dvd cutting expert but I do have a serious fetish for quality output.

Always aim for hte top bit rate mentioned by marc, but if you must put more on a disc think carefully first.

If the video has lots of motion and fast cuts it will suffer far more than slow paced still life type video.

In the latter case exerimentaiotn has shown that you can get away with a much lower bit rate without too much 'postage stamping'. As low as half the max.

I've got a quick question.

If I create a DVD using the maximum bit rate will this cause a problem in play back on some DVD players, probably older or cheaper models? If so is it a common problem?

I ask because I made a couple of DVD's for a friends Dad and to keep the image quality up I encoded it at the maximum bit rate. The picture and sound quality were both good but I got the warning message on DVD architect saying that it may not play in some players becuase of the high bit rate. Now he's had a few back but the number doesn't seem to worry him and frustratingly he's a bit vague as to the numbers. I offered to create him a lower bit rate version but he didn't seem to worried so I'm guessing it's not to much of an issue.

Blog Entries

Simple answer is yes. Some players will have issues with the high bitrate.

Blog Entries

In my limited expirience most players are ok with 6 mbit.

Thanks gents! I thought as much. Is it a case of old/cheap kit just not as good as it should be, which causes a drag factor on the rest of us? Just like like a couple of years ago you had to produce websites in 800px wide to ensure the flat earthers could view your site.

So in producing a dvd is better to go for a lower 6meg bit rate as Marc says or say sod it and go for the higher rate? I guees the logical answer is to test both on as many players as possible. In fact I'll do that and post the results, if the mods are happy.

Blog Entries

Please do.

Ok I've sent out two dvd's each to three people. One dvd is done in a 9.8 meg format and the other 6meg both constant bit rate. We are all testing the dvd's on as many machcines as possible and I'll post the results next week but so far I'd say avoid maximum bit rate!

A bit late in getting the results posted but here iare the general results (I say general as the people testing them never wrote down the exact results but this is what I've inferred from what they've said). The discs were tested on about 20 players and then any pc's we could find. On the players the 9.8 version failed completely on 4 of them, it would play on most pc's but as they were made on a dual layer disc a fair few failed at the layer break. In addition some of the players stalled at the layer break. The 6meg version played fine on all players bar one, which was one of those cheap tv/dvd combis. The ultimate test was playing the six meg version on a friends vast sony tv off a knackered dvd player which they thought didn't play any more ( think they'd just got some menu options wrong) despite the lower bit rate the picture quality was good, so in future I'm sticking with the small loss in quality in favour of reliability.

Gents

While looking all over the forum for an answer to another question i have, i found this last post to be a great help.

I have always gone for the best quality and bugger them if they buy a cheap and nasty player - However, since i earn a living from it i have changed my views and this post basically proves me right.

Well done for the test. About a year and a half ago i did something similar but only to the extended family, the answers were much the same as yours apart from the CBR highest setting DVD would not play on anyones apart from my own. (The 6 people in my family i got to help all got 3 DVD's) and the lower VBR played on all.

I now have a new problem - Here is the question.....

I have not even bothered looking at the DVD when im ploughing it into the recorder, but lately i have been getting a few clients complain that the DVD jumps or stutters or will not play. After much testing of the original DVD that i had, then testing of the client DVD when they sent it to me; i couldnt find anything wrong.
    This is a problem. I have an old DVD player that i test my DVD's on before sending them out, which was one of those "Read all" types, but i never pay attention to the type of Media (+ or -).

I seem to get a better response from the DVD+R disk that i use, and around 50-60% of my clients have reported problems with the DVD if i have used a DVD-R.

Q - Has anyone had any similar problems?
    Q - WHich (In your humble opinion's) are the better type to use -R or +R?
    Q - Is there any written reference that tells us which ones are the better to use, or indeed which ones we SHOULD be useing?

Just because i make a living out of creating video, doesnt mean i know all, i should however have looked into the type of disk i was going to be burning too prior to buying in bulk.

Any thoughts or input?? If i have totally missed the post that tells us the one to use - again please chastise me.

Mitch

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchuk View Post
    I seem to get a better response from the DVD+R disk that i use, and around 50-60% of my clients have reported problems with the DVD if i have used a DVD-R.
    And that's your answer. Stick with the what works for the majority of your clients and ditch the batch of DVDs (which are DVD-R) that are creating problems. I always used expensive discs (comparitively) and never once had a client complain.For the sake of pennies the client satisfaction is worth it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast