Thread: Edits come back...!

Default Edits come back...!

Vegas Studio 10
    Something that puzzles me in editing on the Timeline. When I cut the vid, using arrow keys for precise frame, then press S (splice). I can select/delete the portion I don't want.
    Later on I may need to move the clips about and I find that unless I'm very careful as I drag a clip, I can stretch it maybe a little and Lo and Behold - I find the parts previously discarded find their way into the final Edit.

Of course you guys examine ther whole Vid, frame by frame and wouldn't fall into this trap...(unless there is a better way of cutting into a clip)...but I had a couple of frames with some unwanted "action" (not the main "take"), and as it was only about 5-frames I thought nothing of it.
    However when I merged the two pieces (where the offending frames were removed), - those Offending frames - there they were in the final Render....

Is there a "better" way of permanently removing pieces?

I'll admit I don't use the Trimmer feature and don't understand why it's there . . . . does the Trimmer have some special function not available on the timeline..?
    The reason I don't use it is because it's almost hidden by all the other Vegas clutter that slides about the screen....well seems like it.
    I tried Chroma-key yesterday, and another item appeared behind the Level-Meters - it was the Chroma-settings....(More clutter, Grr).
    Last edited by vidmanners; 07-29-2011 at 01:57 AM.

Blog Entries

Whether you use the trimmer or not, you are not removing frames. Your event on the timeline is always part of a whole piece of media (ie file on yor PC) with "in " and "out" points. When you use the split key "S", all you are actually doing is turning one event with one in and one out point into two events, each with an in and out point.

As you are probably aware, if you hover over the end of an event, the cursor will change shape and any dragging you do will lengthen or shorten the event (what it's dping is moving the in/out point).

All you have to do to ensure you don't inadvertently do this is to make sure that when you move an event, your cursor is not over the end of the clup - ie check that it is still just an arrow shape.

You may (or may not) find it helpful to think of an event not as a clip, but as a window through which you are making part of a clip visible.

If you have Vegas Pro and you really want events with immovable end points (or at least those which cannot be lengthened) you can select the section you want, right click and choose "Create Subclip"

As for the "clutter", one thing I dont like about Adobe products is all the tabs and windows all over the place. But they can be turned on ad off - I simply haven't learned to do so. Vegas is the same, you can move windows, dock them in tabbed groups, and make them visible/invisible. The difference is, I've learned to do it in Vegas - you need to do the same! Under the "View" menu, you can turn make just about every window/tab visinle or invisible. You can also save a number of different layouts so you can switch easily between your preferred one for, say, selecting clips for the timeline and detailed collour correction work.

EDIT: I've just re-read your post and I'm not sure i understand what you mean by:

However when I merged the two pieces (where the offending frames were removed), - those Offending frames - there they were in the final Render....

How did you "merge" the two events?
    Last edited by TimStannard; 07-29-2011 at 09:21 AM.
    Tim

Thanks Tim, your explanation "window" makes a lot of sense, I must try not to be careless when grabbing near the ends.

.....I had a clip where someone came across the field of view for just 5 frames, other than that, the clip was good as a Green_Screen background. So I found the start and finish of the "intruder" two "S" and Deleted the offending bit. (What I "should" do is group the two halves when joined?.).
    Later on, when moving bits about I must have moved those points and the intruder was still there (fleeting) in the final. Grr.
    However, I am trying to change my mindset away from "film" where a cut, was a cut, was a cut.

I resolved the issue by checking the Edit at the cut-point.But I'd wasted a long time rendering . ((Using Chroma-key really slows down Render-time.))

If you've experience of Green Screen, I have a second problem, now the Vid is rendered and (after much grief) recorded to DVD.
    As I'm watching the DVD it is evident that on the speaker's face there are signs of the background vid breaking through. The background vid is quite dark with contrasty objects (actually ships' masts against dark water). As the ship passes the image of the mast continues through the presenter. I'll say it very little and the opacities at the worst point are both 100% (ie Foreground/Background).
    Oddly, it's still not visible during Preview (but then that's a small screen, even at full-screen).

Could this be due to the "chroma-level" sliders not being quite right? I have a Pro chroma screen end-of-roll (a very garish green) but the lighting wasn't as even as I'd expected (through the camera it looked OK) . Only in Vegas Studio did I find it necessary to adjust (I recall 2-sliders).
    Just wondering....thanks.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 07-30-2011 at 12:49 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    ....What I "should" do is group the two halves when joined?.
    Yes - there are hard and fast rules, but that's what I do when I've finished editing a short sequence.

I'm glad my "window" explanation made sense to you. As you're finding, once you grasp this concept, the rest becomes obvious.

I'm afraid I have no experience of Chroma-key so I cannot help here I'm afraid, though if the problem is not appearing in the preview it should not appear in the result. It might be a "glitch" and might be worth closing the project, defragging your disks, the re-starting the PC (this may sound OTT but I've found this has worked in the past when I've has stuff from lower tracks "bleeding" through).
    Tim

Thanks Tim, the image in Preview showed "no-signs" but then it's so small I doubt the shadow would show. Needless to say I've moved on and that DVD is finished, done, etc. Indeed the clip managed to fool the other half who was assistant in the really windy shoot, where I mucked up the "To camera" I nearly jumped in the lake, to cool off. This test-shot enabled me to try the Chroma feature in Vegas Studio by adding a narative in the comfort of the kitchen*. I'd bought a small piece of GreenScreen, but it needs to be bigger for widescreen, yet the DVD is rendered to 4:3 I think this is the default SD creeping in.... High Tech Huh!

Next, I'm going to try Garbage-screening, useful to remove tripods and other bits of static intrusions..... too few hours, I fear.

* I had to adjust the Colour Temp to match the earlier shot.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 08-05-2011 at 10:49 PM.