Thread: Photo tricks/effects in Vegas 9 - help

1. Default Photo tricks/effects in Vegas 9 - help

Hi,

Couple of neat tricks on the video link below that I'm trying to re-create on one of my videos using Sony Vegas 9.

1) the photograph superimposed on a video effect at 1 min 5 sec

and

2) reducing background focus on a photo but retaining focus in the foreground - see photo at 1 min 45 sec

Had a play around but not having any joy. Does anyone know if this is possible in SV9?

Also, any suggestions on good websites for free sound effects for use in SV?

Thanks

Keith

Blog Entries

Here we go:

1. Photo
    Background video o track 2, photo on track 1.
    Add Sony Border FX to the photo event and set to White Border
    Go to track motion for track 1 (it's one of the icons on the "Track Header"- the bit on the left hand side of each track.)
    Position your cursor at the first frame where the "photo" appears on track 1.
    Make sure the lock aspect ratio and size about centre buttons (along the top of the Track Motion windows) are slected
    "Grab" a corner of the rectangle in the Track Motion window and drag towards the centre. You should see your "photo" in the Preview Window shrink.
    Now position your cursor over the circle in the TM window and see it change to an arc. Click and drag around to rotate the photo.

That's basically that. If you use track 2 for other things you'll need to bear in mind that you've created a keyframe which has repositioned all the content of that track. You'll probably want to right click that keyframe and change it to "hold", then create another after the photo with "reset to default" settings, but I suggest you read up about keyframes (they're really quite simple)
    Tim

Blog Entries

2. Pseudo Depth of field
    If you have Vegas 9 Pro:
    Copy the same photo onto two tracks.
    On the event on the ower track add a Gaussian Blur FX and adjust to taste (something like 0.01 for horizontal and vertical should do the trick
    On the event on the upper track, open the Pan and Crop Window.
    Click the checkbox for "mask" tnwards the bottom f the screen.
    Select the "anchor creation tool" (Pen nib on left hand side) and "draw" around the bit you want to remain in focus by clicking around the image, like you're making a dot-to-dot
    Now select one type of feather and adjust the feater amount.
    Job done.

In Vegas movide studio, it can still be done but is somewhat more complex. You'll need to create the shape you want in focus as white on a black background in a garphics/photo package and them learn how to use this with the "mask tool" Sony FX in Vegas.
    Tim

well done Tim , nothing beats experience and actually playing with the software

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    well done Tim , nothing beats experience and actually playing with the software
    Except maybe being able to type instructions with fewer typos! Apologies to all, but i'm sure it can be understood easily.
    Tim

You took the trouble and at least avoid words (if you can call them that),

I waz n it, and so on...

7. Default

Thanks Tim. Great feedback, thanks for taking the time. Got the photo effect sorted but might pass on the background effect. I have SV9 and it sounds a bit complicated... for now at least (work, family etc etc). Although really must find more time to play round with the software... I agree, no substitute for that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazylegs View Post
    Thanks Tim. Great feedback, thanks for taking the time. Got the photo effect sorted but might pass on the background effect. I have SV9 and it sounds a bit complicated... for now at least (work, family etc etc). Although really must find more time to play round with the software... I agree, no substitute for that.

Glad to assist. What I failed to mention is that with VMS, if you're happy for the "in focus" shape to be a regular shape as featured in the "cookie cutter" FX you can use the ...er "cookie cutter" fx rather than having to worry about creating a mask.
    Tim