Thread: Why is memory card Camcorder better than hard drive/flash memory/DVD Camcorders?

Default Why is memory card Camcorder better than hard drive/flash memory/DVD Camcorders?

Hi everyone,

I am planning to buy a camcorder to start editing videos in Final Cut Pro. I have a question in my mind and I hope the community here would be kind enough to help me.
    I want to know why Memory Card Camcorders are better than hard drive/flash memory/ DVD Camcorders for editing purpose.

With kind regards,
    Sumeet.

Blog Entries

I could simply say, "Because Midnight said so" However...

They are better than DVD camcorders because all DVD camcorders record to MPEG-2 - the format used for DVDs. Which is fine if you only ever want to create DVDs and don't want to edit other than straight cuts. And, of course, you'd be limited to Standard Definition. I'd be surprised if anyone still makes DVD camcorders anyway.

As for the other comparisons, they are not "better" as such. In fact your best bet is a combination of some sort of "in camera" memory, be it hard drive or flash and removable memory cards.
    Cameras that record to hard drive only or internal memory only suffer from limited memory. Once you've filled up your internal flash memory, you have to delete it before you can record anything else (which normally means you have to download it to your PC before you can do anything else as you wouldn't normally want to throw it all away). If your camera takes and external card, you can just keep using more and more cards (as budget allows). It's also sometimes more convenient to upoad your video to your PC from a card than having to plug the camera in.

Hard disk cameras might not have such a limited capacity as those with built in memory, but hard disks are moving parts. It's something which is more likely to fail than something which is solid state- and when it does fail you will be without your camera while it's being repaired. Also, being mechanical, it will have a certain amount of noise associated with it and will be more of a drain on your battery.
    Tim

Thanks Tim for the needed help.