Thread: Convoy for Heroes 2011 world record attempt.

Default Convoy for Heroes 2011 world record attempt.

‪Tension Builder Convoy for Heroes 2011 in the lines waiting....‬‏ - YouTube

Event I covered this year to raise money for Help for Heroes.

Generally I liked what you have gone for here. There are a few things such as the funny camera work and overlay that I did think worked at around 0:50 also I think there was just a little to much of shots like at 1:04 on head light where you point at it, it goes out of focus, then zoom out as if to re frame the shot. I don't mind seeing this sort of thing as a stylised type of a shot but this seems more accidental than a purposeful composed idea.

I'm presuming this is just part of a longer video as it just seems to end without any conclusion.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 07-28-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Yes Midnight most of it was accidental and not planned. Thanks for looking....It was difficult to almost impossible to compose on the move. I had 2 days to cover the event. 380 Land Rovers and related crews. There is me with legs and a medium sized camera running around trying to capture everything over a 10 acre site as well as uploading the card to a lap to every so often and charging the batteries. Didn't stop until sleep. My XLR broke to the external mic and ended up doing interview with the on board mic ....not a good result I can say!!

I did notice that the BBC use what would appear to be absolute rubbish in some pieces I see on TV and the edit these in quite well. One production that comes to mind is Army Driver Training hosted by Jeremy Kyle,... dunno if that was BBC or not. on this link ‪Military Driving School - Episode 01 (Part 1)‬‏ - YouTube is some of this composed or just grabbed in the moment?

I think the camera man had been wired up to the mains and couldn't keep still but it worked on that sort of programme and gave the overall feeling of unprepared and on site sort of feel where he was constantly trying to compose shots............ I was trying to get on this sort of feel. ( If you look closely in the cab of the truck the cameras are in plain view...)

Event coverage I found out doesn't give one time to think it more about capturing the moment as it happens. I have 14 hours of clips to edit into a DVD yet.... some how.
    Last edited by TFV; 07-28-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: punctuation

Blog Entries

I liked the "unprepared", having to shoot it as it occurred, feel and I thought it benefitted from you avoiding the temptation to overdo that. I liked the stylised cuts to the B&W long shots and some of the other desatirated shots. There were a few places where you "went back on yourself" such as Midnight mentions with the headlight and I definitely wasn't keen on that.

I think I would have liked to have seen a more prominent title, rather than have it appear as a caption, and then the captions which follow appear against that rather nice lower third background.

This may come across as sour grapes, but I thought the choice of music was wrong for almost exactly the same reasons as you thought my music for te rowing music was wrong

The music was very much epic "gladiators going into battle" type stuff, but this is inappropriate for two reasons in my opinion. (1) Whilst the vehicles are "army" type vehicles what we actually see is a convoy of shiny civilian vehicles out for a nice Sunday stroll (2) Similarly, whilst the cause is in aid of the armed forces, it to there to provide support for the "heroes" that have returned, in particular those who ahve suffered injury or other hardship in the course of their duty, almost the opposite to a call to arms which is what the music implies to me.

But that apart, I found it the most enjoyable of your films yet. Good stuff.

Just one query, why use that out of tune TV effect? That effect always makes me think US rather than UK. I may be mis-remembering but in my mind TVs never looked like that in the UK (we didn't get our first set until 1966 when my dad rented a one for the World Cup - it was B&W then). However, given that this effect exists and many US films/TV series have used it I can only assume that US sets did look like this when out oftune. Anyone care to comment.
    Tim

Yes agreed the music is out of context... (now for the excuse,....). It is a section on the DVD which is leading up to the actual convoy event on the track . I was trying to give the waiting tension sort of feeling leading onto something more dramatic. To be honest the convoy was driving at 2 miles per hour and the event footage is actually quite dull on the track. Land Rover folk always think themselves sort of military types just by the nature of the vehicle but yes it was a sunday ride out...this I wanted to get away from.

Heres the technical bit if you are interested.....The bad TV effect is interlace lines which dominates all TVs NTSC ( American ) or PAL ( UK standard) is the scan lines and that effect is just exagerated. If you look very closely at a TV you will see the interlace lines especially around movement...BBC New 24 programme you may see this better. I like the interlaced bad TV effect,...it's more modern???

PAL and NTSC scans the TV screen in 2 fields.. upper and lower ..or one field after another and video scanned at 25 frames per second will give 50 Hz frequency ( 2x fields 25fps =50). Since the US is nearly 30fps it has a frequency of 60Hz scanning frequency there again its 30fps x2fields = 60. This is interlaced scanning. Progressive scanning is only one scan per frame of video. New HD televisions offer a 1080 p screen which is progressive scanning a lot smoother.......

Blog Entries

Thanks for your reply. Believe it or not I actually knew all that stuff about scan lines etc. I simply wondered if US (NTSC) TVs actually looked liked the effect because the UK ones never did to my recollection. Yes, they had the same sort of effect to a much lesser degree (ie much closer lines), but the "default" settings of this effect are more like a cartoon than an even vaguely realistic approximation (compare this with defaut settings for "Old Film" type filters, which at least look a bit like old film).

I don't dislike the effect, it just shrieks "US" to me, and I'm wondering if that is justified by my suppositions.

I suppose my question is really directed to US readers: Did out of tune TVs look anything like the TV effects filters we see (with their default settings) is is it a fairly extreme exaggeration?
    Tim

Yeah sorry Tim I sort of miss understood your knowledge of interlacing...( benefit for others who don't know?)

Out of tune TVs? errmm the digital ones just look like a bad Jackson Pollack picture where as the analog reception yeah you can pull that off easily with the effect.

The FCP filter I use has some good adjustments on the bad TV effect but the lines look more "modern" to be honest and implied bad reception...something I am trying to perfect is this effect. The BBC use it sometimes on CBBC channel ( the best effects inspiration).
    Last edited by TFV; 07-30-2011 at 10:05 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TFV View Post
    The BBC use it sometimes on CBBC channel ( the best effects inspiration).
    I couldn't agree more. CBBC is a fantastic place to see innovative (if sometimes rather crude) TV and get inspiration. Good tip.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I couldn't agree more. CBBC is a fantastic place to see innovative (if sometimes rather crude) TV and get inspiration. Good tip.
    The Deadly 60 has been good inspiration lately for me. They are not afraid to show everything including the sound man. I learned a bit about using camera on a car when they tried to race a Falcon with a cabriolet car some time back.