Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tie Clip Recording

Default Tie Clip Recording

Hi,

I want to record sound through a clip on tie microphone. I don't need anything high quality, just reasonable sound. I know you can get the microphone for about 5, but what can I use to record the sound onto? I don't want these 200 recording devices, there must be something cheaper out there.

Thanks.

Blog Entries

A Zoom H1 will do you nicely if you can afford 70-80.
    For a real budget solution, look for a mini disc recorder on eBay

eg this: sony minidisk recorder/walkman MZ-R37 RARE!!!!!! | eBay

and here's the manual: http://www.minidisc.org/manuals/sony...r37_manual.pdf
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    A Zoom H1 will do you nicely if you can afford 70-80.
    For a real budget solution, look for a mini disc recorder on eBay

eg this: sony minidisk recorder/walkman MZ-R37 RARE!!!!!! | eBay

and here's the manual: http://www.minidisc.org/manuals/sony...r37_manual.pdf
    I heard it's difficult to get the sound file off a minidisc onto your computer?

Also - is there not something cheaper? I mean mobiles can record and save a sound clip so I don't see why the recorders are so expensive.

The cheapest thing to do is plug it into your camera. The Zoom H1 is about the best option at that price or even cheaper second hand if you can find one.

I guess it's the zoom h1 for me then.
    I can't use the camera as I need that to be filming me whilst I'm talking.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by photographer View Post
    Also - is there not something cheaper? I mean mobiles can record and save a sound clip so I don't see why the recorders are so expensive.
    I think there are a number of issues here. Firstly, where is the market for a low quality recorder (especially when reasonable quality can be had for less than 100)? Secondly, there is presumably a minimum cost to manufacture a digital recording device, irrespective of quality.
    With a mobile phone, a lot of what is needed is already present, so adding sound is only an add-on cost. More significantly, I suspect phones are sold at less than or certainly a very large fraction of what they cost to produce/distribute/advertise.
    Tim

You could use a simple portable dictation machine and fit it under your clothes (Amazon from about 15).
    If you get a digital recorder (Amazon from about 20), you should have no problem with synch drift.
    Most use memory cards to record to and will save the audio as MP3 format.

This is not expensive, but of course it all depends on the sound quality you require..

Quote Originally Posted by Mannering Media View Post
    You could use a simple portable dictation machine and fit it under your clothes (Amazon from about 15).
    If you get a digital recorder (Amazon from about 20), you should have no problem with synch drift.
    Most use memory cards to record to and will save the audio as MP3 format.

This is not expensive, but of course it all depends on the sound quality you require..
    What is Sync drift? Can you plug a microphone into them?

I'm creating a documentary on northumberland wildlife. I would like to be presenting these in the future, so producing them and editing is not my strong point. The sound quality doesn't need to be amazing, just without background crackling etc. Is the zoom h1 going to be best for this ?

Synch drift is something you get from a tape based recorder, when you try to synch the sound with the video after a few seconds they will drift apart (due to the tape stretching).
    With a digital recorder, this does not happen.

You can plug a microphone into most portable dictation machines, it will tell you this in the description....
    As an example take a look on Amazon at...
    Sony ICD-BX112 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2 GB - MP3

Price for this is under 18
    This has both an headphone socket and a microphone socket.

There are many more to chose from, but i would suggest yo go for a digital recorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannering Media View Post
    Synch drift is something you get from a tape based recorder, when you try to synch the sound with the video after a few seconds they will drift apart (due to the tape stretching).
    With a digital recorder, this does not happen.

You can plug a microphone into most portable dictation machines, it will tell you this in the description....
    As an example take a look on Amazon at...
    Sony ICD-BX112 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2 GB - MP3

Price for this is under 18
    This has both an headphone socket and a microphone socket.

There are many more to chose from, but i would suggest yo go for a digital recorder.
    This is very helpful, thank you!
    Is this the correct one? Sony ICD-BX112 - Digital voice recorder - flash 2 GB - MP3: Amazon.co.uk: Office Products

Will the sound quality be good with this? I am guessing I can just strap it onto my person and record as normal. If I clap whilst its recording so the camera can see, this allows me to sync the sound doesn't it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast