Thread: Exporting takes forever

Default Exporting takes forever

Hi guys,

First of all, I'm new in the world of video editing. I got myself a copy of Adobe Premiere CS3 and I'm trying to figure out how this stuff works. The first thing I'm trying to do is to put several .AVI clips I have together in another .AVI file, so after dragging the clips to the time bar in the bottom, I hit "export" and choose to save it in AVI format. The thing is that this operation takes almost two hours! The final clip is only 18 minutes long. Shouldn't it take much shorter, given that the only thing I'm doing is joining seven AVI clips into one?

Thanks guys.

The length of time it take depends on a lot of factors. Your processor power is one of the main ones. 2hrs is a bit of a long time, I presume it it HD footage. You don't say what PC power you have, sounds like a dual core level processor. There are some things you can do to speed up this process but I don't use Premier so I don't know the ins and outs.

General tips are to keep your computer in tip top condition. Have the media on a separate internal drive to your operating system. Don't have your Hard drives to full. Defrag the drives . Don't have other things going on in the back ground like email, anti virus etc.

Hope this helps.

You might be saving in the same format ...... but are you saving in the same codec?

If it's exporting to a different codec..... it will take a while.

examine the source files.... see what they are.. then export as the same type.

The suffix is a container.... not the contents.