Thread: Camera Lens, HELP!

1. Question Camera Lens, HELP!

im gonna be shooting videos with a canon t2i, the one im getting comes with 18-55mm lens. i'm not professional but i need to make professional looking music videos, commercials and promotional videos, but my budget is really low, now, i want more zooming and better lens' possibilities:
    1)whats my best option?
    2)my friend has a huge antuique store and has tons of lenses, what shud i be looking for to c if i can fit it in the t2i?
    3) can all lenses fit?
    4) any other advise?

thnx a lot!

To answer all the questions in one go, you need to read up on adapters and flange focal distances. That will then make you aware of other issues that affect how lenses work once fit onto cameras they weren't necessarily designed for.

The most important thing you will come across is that some lenses designed for a camera with a certain flange focal distance often need an adapter with a correction lens built in (although adapters that overcome this are sometimes also available) to fit on a camera with a different flange focal distance. Try to avoid lens/camera combinations that need these, extra glass causes extra image quality degradation.

Strangely enough, as it's not what your looking to do, this principle was the basis behind the Depth of field adapter craze. So simplified information can be found on sites related to these, such as:

Daniel's GG-Holders for 35mm DOF Adapters

David.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    To answer all the questions in one go, you need to read up on adapters and flange focal distances. That will then make you aware of other issues that affect how lenses work once fit onto cameras they weren't necessarily designed for.

The most important thing you will come across is that some lenses designed for a camera with a certain flange focal distance often need an adapter with a correction lens built in (although adapters that overcome this are sometimes also available) to fit on a camera with a different flange focal distance. Try to avoid lens/camera combinations that need these, extra glass causes extra image quality degradation.

Strangely enough, as it's not what your looking to do, this principle was the basis behind the Depth of field adapter craze. So simplified information can be found on sites related to these, such as:

Daniel's GG-Holders for 35mm DOF Adapters

David.
    Thnx again David! i accross Tamron 18-200mm and Sigma 18-200mm, they both say to be for Canon EOS cameras, are those good brands?

Good decision, go for lenses that are designed to fit. It's quite a complex field, but well worth building an understanding. There once was a time when a camera assistant wouldn't get to take a shot until he understood all this stuff never mind until he got to be a camera man.

I've used a few stills lenses on DOF adapters, but wait and hopefully a regular DSLR video shooter will offer advice. I've heard Sigma get praised, at least on one of their lenses, when attached via an adapter to a smaller format sensor video camera to create an extra long angle. But I don't know about Tamron.

David.

5. Default

does any one know about Tamron and Sigma 18-200mm lenses for Canon t2i? Are they good? Are they as good as Canon and Nikon lenses, just that they r not famous brands? if not whats the differences??

Thanx 2 u all guys!!

[thnx a lot David!]

6. Default

the the sigma and tamaron are good brands if you can get either of those for a decent price youl do aright, if you can ever affford it id suggest getting a sigma 10-20 or a tokina 11-16mm, both amazing wide angle lens, i film almost everything with three lens, a sigma 10-20, 50mm canon prime, and a canon 70-200 mm and i find it covers all the bases.

also like i saw mentioned, using old lens with adapters is a great way of saving cash but envolves alof of research, i had a freind who bought a 60d brand new but shopped around and picked up a buncg of decent old analouge lens for under 100 was amazing value.