Thread: create blu-ray slide show with menus?

1. Default create blu-ray slide show with menus?

After much playing around, and with some help from people on this forum, I was finally able to create a blu-ray slide show, with photos and videos, on a blu-ray disc using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum. And, in fact, the slide show, on blu-ray, looks very nice. The markers work in allowing me to skip ahead, but there is no menu.

So I tried to create a blu-ray slide show with menus using DVD-A, but have had no luck. I think I have tried pretty much everything I can think of, but nothing works. When I use Vegas MS to create the slide show and then invoke DVD-A with the Make A Movie -> Blu-Ray With Menus DVD-A starts and gives me all the options, but the re-rending dies before it can write the file with the error code 0x80131604. When I do a Vegas MS rendering to file and then try to import the media into DVD-A the same thing happens - the project dies before it can write the blu-ray disk with the same error code.

I googled the error code and found a knowledgebase article about installing an update to .NET framework 4, but even after I followed the instructions, uninstalled DVD-A, installed the update and re-installed DVD-A, I got exactly the same error.

I have submitted the problem to Tech Support, but have heard nothing back. Has anyone successfully created a mixed photo/video blu-ray slide show with menus using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 and DVD-A? I do not have the Pro version as that is way out of my budget.

If it matters I am working on a Dell XPS 15, 8GB of main memory and lots of free disk space. I know my blu-ray burner is working because I could create a blu-ray disc using Cyberlink's PowerDirector 8, but that output does not look as good as the output from Vegas Movie Studio (without menus).

Thanks.

Not used VMS but blue ray is handled different to DVD, it makes an ISO file then it burns that to the disk.
    Try rendering first as hi def (AVC) first then open DVD-A and make the Blu-Ray disk

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Not used VMS but blue ray is handled different to DVD, it makes an ISO file then it burns that to the disk.
    Try rendering first as hi def (AVC) first then open DVD-A and make the Blu-Ray disk
    I had already tried that. I remember reading an article in the knowledgebase that said I needed to create the VMS slide show as Main Concept MPEG-2, 1920 x 1080. I tried this with both 60i and 24p settings. I have no problem with VMS generating the file and the slide show, as created by VMS, is very nice indeed. Photos are clear and crisp, movies are smooth and very nice. In fact they are nicer than any of the other products I have tried and that is why I would like to get all of this to work.

The article also said that I needed to set the DVD-A properties in accordance with the VMS properties, so that is what I did. There seem to be multiple issues going on here.

1) Rendering the slide show in VMS (or creating it prior to Make A Movie) works very well. I have no problems and can add markers for chapters without any problems now that I can add the .mp4 videos.

2) However once this is imported into DVD-A I cannot cannot create the intermediate file. The whole process just dies during the re-rendering. It gives me an error code, but no message (actually I get a message saying that the message is missing),

3) I have the same problem if I use VMS and them inoke DVD-A via the Make A Movie Button and then select Blu-ray with Menus. The process just dies during the re-rendering,

4) If I Make A Movie and select Blu-Ray (with no menus) I can create the blu-ray disc. This is the method specified in the knowledgebase article and it works well, but does not give me any way to select and add sub-menus. If I want to isolate each day's photos I can do it via markers and chapters, but there is no visible indication that they exist on the menu.

5) I have tried this process repeatedly using many different types of VMS formats (all 1920 x 1080) and every time, with every format, DVD-A dies during the re-rendering process. I have tried this starting the slide show in DVD-A and get exactly the same result - error code 0x80136014 (message missing). I have watched my system resources while re-rendering is taking place and see nothing unusual. I have 8 GB of memory and if I cannot create a slide show due to memory problems I do not see how anyone can. I have a ton of free disc space (this is a new machine with a 750GB hard drive) and have no idea what other issue might be involved.

I like VMS and DVD-A, but would like them more if I could get them to actually do what I need to do.

"the whole process just dies during the re-rendering."

When rendering out for DVD-A if you use the correct file format, (AVCHD,) then DVD-A should NOT re-render.

When I make DVD's I use MPEG2 and AC3 and DVD-A never re-renders the file, if it did there would be a quality hit

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    "the whole process just dies during the re-rendering."

When rendering out for DVD-A if you use the correct file format, (AVCHD,) then DVD-A should NOT re-render.

When I make DVD's I use MPEG2 and AC3 and DVD-A never re-renders the file, if it did there would be a quality hit
    I am creating a blu-ray disc, so I do not choose AVCHD. Using VMS I created a Main Concept 1920 x 1080 MPEG-2 file. In DVD-A I import this and tell DVD-A to create a BluRay Disc. I then get a window that tells me that the video will be recompressed and, when I press Finish, the display tells me it is rendering the output. It almost completes when it dies.
    Last edited by MikeFromMesa; 07-20-2011 at 11:57 PM.

I have exactly the same problem, Tried the .net patch ... does not work!

Jean-Yves

7. Default

I have been persistent in this complaint with Sony Technical Support and have spoken, via phone, with at least one technician. She told me that this issue had been added to their bug list, so I suppose that means that (a) they acknowledge that it is a problem and (b) there is no current fix for it.

I was not given any estimated date for a fix. My version was the trial and since I assume any fix will be a long time coming I removed the trial version from my system. The product is no use to me if I cannot create a small menu for my slide shows.

If Technical Support tells me of an available fix for this issue I will post the information on this forum.

I have an offer: they say that when the bug is fixed, I will have the new edition for free (but no date!)
    Do you know that even if Vegas needs DVDA to make menus, you can create chapters in Vegas itself:
    - insert - marker
    - check "create chapters on markers" when creating the bluray (without menus).

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jym View Post
    I have an offer: they say that when the bug is fixed, I will have the new edition for free (but no date!)
    Good for you. I have never actually heard back from them via an official response but, as I wrote, the tech told me on the phone that this was a bug. Hard to see why they would not have found this themselves before releasing the software.

Quote Originally Posted by jym View Post
    Do you know that even if Vegas needs DVDA to make menus, you can create chapters in Vegas itself:
    - insert - marker
    - check "create chapters on markers" when creating the bluray (without menus).
    Yes I knew that. I have actually made blu-ray discs with markers, but without some visual indication that there were chapters (and what those chapters were) I doubt that I would remember when playing the disc back in a year or two. A working version of DVD-A does not seem too much to ask for. The software is not inexpensive.