Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing CPU from the HeatSink

Default Removing CPU from the HeatSink

Ok, this is hard to explain but here, i have a 3.06ghz P4 compute. Now here is the problem, a few weeks ago, i tried to add a 10,000 RPM hard drive, and i could never get it to start so i just gave up and figured the hard drive was busted, so i had everything back to normal, and i tried to start the computer and it wouldn't start, and (i kept getting a message saying cant find operating system and it would do anything else) so i tried to reinstall the OS and i found out the Cd drive wasn't working, but i know it was working a few days ago and i hadn't done anything to it to make it not work so i switched the cables from the hard drive to the CD drive and it ended up working but as soon as i started the installation it said that it didn't recognize the hard drive. After switching the CD drive, and the hard drive back and forth and switching the cables and doing every configuration i could think of, i came to the conclusion that i had broken the motherboard and i needed to replace it. So i found the same model motherboard and a week later it came in the mail, and i tried to switch the boards. Everything was going well until i came to the CPU, (this is the first time i have ever messed with the CPU but i read up on it and i thought i know what i was doing. But the CPU wouldn't come off of the heatsink, and the motherboard wont let me put the CPU in unless the chip isn't attached to anything. Frankly i don't know how to get The CPU off, it might be glued on, or it might have melted on and i was just wondering if you people had ever come across anything like this and if you had any advice, i know it is a real mouth full but that's it, here is a picture of the Heatsink stuck to the CPU.

So how do i get the CPU off of the Heatsink?

another photo

Blog Entries

If it was a 10,000RPM, I'm guessing it was a WD Raptor. These are SATA drives, and you'll need to set the BIOS so that the computer boots from SCSI drive (normally). You'll then need to install the drivers for a SATA drive during the installation of windows from a floppy. I doubt very much the motherboard was broken, just that you didn't have the correct BIOS settings.

The "glue" to which you refer is actually thermal compound. This is extremely important if you don't want fry your CPU. You don't nessarily have to remove the heatsink, just place the whole thing on the new mobo. Take care that you don't bend any of the CPU "legs" as it won't be as easy to install the processor with the heatsink attached. The CPU will only slot in one way.

I also suggest that you clean off all that gunk and get yourself some better thermal compound.

thats really quite strange, the cpu is usually locked into place meaning it cant get 'stuck' to the heatsink. i agree i seriously doubt it was your motherboard, as i've had those sort of problems before and it just turns out the bugger is being stubborn.
    i eat hobbits!!!!!!

several of those pins are very bent. What the hell did you do?

Also, it looks like you've stuck that cpu to the heatsink with blu-tak. Either way, you've used way too much thermal compound. Get some arctic silver, and follow the instructions to the letter.

Here's hoping i'm imagining that you've broken off a pin at the far left. You'll probably not be able to straighten all those legs anyway.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

I wonder if it's his video editing machine....

:twisted:

What exactly are you saying, mike?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    If it was a 10,000RPM, I'm guessing it was a WD Raptor. These are SATA drives, and you'll need to set the BIOS so that the computer boots from SCSI drive (normally). You'll then need to install the drivers for a SATA drive during the installation of windows from a floppy. I doubt very much the motherboard was broken, just that you didn't have the correct BIOS settings.

yeah, i ended up not using the 10,000RPM drive because all i have is IDE cable and that drive wasnt IDE...

The "glue" to which you refer is actually thermal compound. This is extremely important if you don't want fry your CPU. You don't nessarily have to remove the heatsink, just place the whole thing on the new mobo. Take care that you don't bend any of the CPU "legs" as it won't be as easy to install the processor with the heatsink attached. The CPU will only slot in one way.

yeah, i think i did bend the legs, and i am trying to fix that, i might end up just spending$200 and getting a new one.,..

I also suggest that you clean off all that gunk and get yourself some better thermal compound.

where do they sell Thermal Compound?

Quote Originally Posted by mrlipring
    several of those pins are very bent. What the hell did you do?

I tried to put it in the motherboard wail the headsink was attatched...

Also, it looks like you've stuck that cpu to the heatsink with blu-tak. Either way, you've used way too much thermal compound. Get some arctic silver, and follow the instructions to the letter.

i bought it with the CPU already glued to the heatsink, so i didnt use way to much glue, someone else did....

Here's hoping I'm imagining that you've broken off a pin at the far left. You'll probably not be able to straighten all those legs anyway.

i hope your wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thorpe
    I wonder if it's his video editing machine....

:twisted:
    yes, thats why i havent posted any new video in a few weeks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast