Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrows

Default Arrows

Vegas studio 10
    1) I've searched "arrows" and also "Pointers" here, to no avail . . . . does anyone know how to apply a marker to a video?

I'm guessing the title media only work with Text/symbols and not a fully rotatable robust arrow (or pointer).... I want to "point" to a part of the underlying film, to match either the Text, or Dialogue.
    ((The audience may not understand what is being pointed out, so a pointer should avoid any one missing the next part of the film.))

I'm hoping there is a facility in Vegas Studio 10,( -or a natty fix?) or I will have to draw and photograph one - then apply it as a .jpeg (Still), - not exactly easy.

2), I may have asked this before - - - in "Text Roll", how can I slow it down?
    It appears to scroll about twice the speed I'd like, - it's too fast for the audience to read. IMHO.

Thanks folks.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 07-17-2011 at 07:49 PM.

I'll answer No2 first, press the Ctrl key and drag to the required length that will slow the credit roll.

The Arrow can be made in a graphics program just make sure it has a transparent background. OR use the font called arrows.

Thanks Midnight Blue, I wonder why they don't hint at this in the Text-Roll "effects" drop-down? -Esp as it rushes through at great speed. The "Timed..." only makes things more complicated.... I think Sony needs to step back and start making it easy.

I know there is a "spinning about" feature I sometimes click-on (by mistake) which enables one to move things(esp graphics) around the screen, I'll try making a jpeg-graphic on transparent---and see if that will oblige, as a single arrow (or one of each colour?) would be convenient, rather than a whole file-full.
    At the moment I just move the text about, but it's hardly precise.

Using the pan/crop tool you can position, rotate, re size etc. your image.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    I know there is a "spinning about" feature I sometimes click-on (by mistake) which enables one to move things(esp graphics) around the screen, I'll try making a jpeg-graphic on transparent

JPEG doesn't support transparency. Use PNG.

as a single arrow (or one of each colour?) would be convenient, rather than a whole file-full.
    "rather than a whole full-file"? Sorry, I don't undertand what you're saying.

At the moment I just move the text about, but it's hardly precise.
    In what way is it not precise? You can zoom in to get it pixel accurate (or specify the position in pixels). If you explain the specific thing you are having difficulty with, I'm sure we can assist further.
    Tim

a whole full file - yes a tad clumsy, but a symbol would be easy to employ (and then spin/zoom as suggested prior). If I take a pic ( PNG, thanks for the tip), it will be relatively large and occupies one of those slide-panes in Vegas Studio.

I found a YouTube Tutorial that suggested using Win "Character Map" where there are suitable arrows, but this only works on Documents, as Vegas wont's accept anything that's not on the keyboard (I tried some ALT+Numbers, but gave up).
    An old photo-editing prog of mine had a huge array of somewhat daft shapes(never used!).... I have it for picture editing, but now I mostly doing Video.

Thanks for yr interest.

Did you miss my suggestion of using the font called Arrows. Comes standard with Win7.

Blog Entries

I found a YouTube Tutorial that suggested using Win "Character Map" where there are suitable arrows, but this only works on Documents, as Vegas wont's accept anything that's not on the keyboard
    What I do (when I want the (c) copyright symbol for example, is type it in MS Word, then cut and paste it into Vegas. Simples!
    (plus here's a third pluf for Midnight's "Arrows" font solution)
    Tim

Curiously PSP won't save in a format that Vegas Studio can import, being more-or-less devoted to "media" - so I tried using the Symbols in the "Default Text" (on transparent) - only to find I have to use the trick ( ALT+ Number-pad), to achieve anything that's not already on the standard keyboard.... (so far so good)....but when you play it you don't get the symbols (arrows, music notes, etc.) shown on the Generate Media window (bit like the trimmer, sorry don't recall the correct Term), you get square hollow boxes - each one the same! So Vegas isn't accepting what's shown in the "window" on their OWN program.
    (I thought I'd do a "De-code Crib" for future use, as other Symbols might be useful.... maybe explore the Symbols entry again...

Grr. . . . . Must go now, Tea is waiting and If I don't cook it soon, I'll have to eat "frozen" -

P.S.
    Examples:
    ALT + 289 is exclamation Mark !
    ALT + 298 is Star *
    ALT + 299 is plus + oddly these do show correctly on Preview screen, but you can get these from the keyboard anyway.
    Bah, Humbug, Vegas!

PSP Paint Shop Pro (bit like Photoshop)
    Finally: photographing a nice Road sign might be easier, but it would be solid background....Hmm.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 07-20-2011 at 06:33 PM.

I use PSP and it saves as .png or .gif which can have a transparent background these can be imported into my version of Vegas (Pro9).

Did I mention the Arrow font.

Enjoy your meal.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 07-20-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast