Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to revert a sound file to original, if pitch has been adjusted.

Default Is it possible to revert a sound file to original, if pitch has been adjusted.

I am interested in voice distortion like this:

I am wondering

(A) what is the best way to distort a voice so it sounds good but un-recognisable?
    (B) Can someone edit it backwards and gain access to the original voice?

A. This depends on what you want it for, what you want it to sound like etc.
    B. If the voice has only been sped up, it can be slowed down to sound normal again.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    A. This depends on what you want it for, what you want it to sound like etc.
    B. If the voice has only been sped up, it can be slowed down to sound normal again.

Thanks for the reply. I want to distort it into a radically different voice. But id like it do it couldnt be changed back. What would you advise to do and what would be the best software

You need the voice recording on it's own and pitch shift it back down again, how far to do this you'll have to experiment with, any audio editor will be able to do this, as to if you can do it without some artifacts is another thing but if you intend to distort it that probably won't matter.

If you can tell me what experience you have with editing video or audio and what software you have. I think to make it irreversible you may end up sounding like an alien.

Well ive found this software(Voice Changer and free Audio/Video software - Parody Voice Maker, DVD/MP3 Player, Music Editor & Free Screensaver), I also have adobe audition...

But if there is better software out there to use then im all ears (no pun intended)
    Last edited by daniel2011; 07-17-2011 at 03:24 PM.

I've never seen this software before but it looks like it was made for the job. Like Crofter said most audio software will do thngs like pich shifting and other effects.

Blog Entries

I'm no expert, but I'd suggest that if you want to alter the voice such that it cannot be recognised and cannot be converted back to teh original, then you need either to add something to the voice or subtract something from it. If you do either of these things it will no longer sound "good" if by "good" you mean realistic.
    Tim

Have you considered the YL may sound like this - it may be natural.
    Natural voice is the result of resonances - so altering the profile of the frequency may help, but I suspect real distortion would involve failrly high Q filters to boost specific frequencies. Maybe you need to use a spectrum analyser on several samples to see if there are some common frequencies that have been "treated" - and then apply an opposite.

TimStannard has said it all - if you want it to be realistic, don't mess with it (well, not much). This might be achieved by mixing some of the original with the "processed" - thus giving you considerable control.....

Another way is to put some phase or flange on it. It's a bugger to undo. Then some reverb then alter the speed. Add a different reverb. Then slow it down a bit. Mix and match until you get what you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast