Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Legal Maps For Use In Video?

Fascinating thread ... learned a lot from it thanks to all this who contributed.

I have uploaded a small demo, using a large map. In addition, the final seconds show how where I have manipulated the 'height' information to generate a '3d' map; complete with hills and valleys.

[youtube link removed by tima. See later post for explanation]
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 03-09-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: YouTube clip no longer exists.

Really good Tim ... love the 3d effect showing hills and valleys very effective.

Blog Entries

Coming up as private?

How did you manipulate the height data, Tim. When i looked at it yesterday the bumps were not significant enough over the Surrey hills to really show anything.
    Tim

Apologies. I had uploaded an inferior demo; and in error deleted a better demo off my PC. I attach 2 images which demonstrate the elevation.
    I used a menu option in the mapping software, Maperitive, to generate a hypsometric image. The image shows the lowest points in black and the highest in white, and by blending values between the contours, Maperitive creates a huge greyscale image.
    The next step is to distort the original map, based on the hypometric image. This kind of effect is often found in CAD related programs (e.g. Blender). Even in Protoshop (CS4 Extended edition), there is a menu option for "3D/Generate plane from greyscale". Photoshop can also replace the greyness of hypo image with the original map; thus making it appear that it is the map which is distorted.
    For my demo, I used Photoshop to save the 3d model in a format which was suitable for inport into a CAD type app. I use 'Poser pro', but it could be equally done well using the free Blender. By adding virtual lights, the 3d'ness can be enhanced by adding shadows, and a moving virtual camera allows us to travel across the map.

Enormous amounts of CPU are required to generate these images. My current model of Greater London use over 1.5m polygons. And keeping the resolution high is important for getting smooth looking slopes.
    I have also realised there are problems in scaling. The highest point in London is only around 400metres. If I display the correct scale, London looks rather too flat. But, increasing the height scale makes most of London look ok, but appears sandwiched between the mountains.

Here is a zipfile containing few higher quality demonstration images.
    http://www.tima.uk.com/img/demolondonmap.zip
    Attached Images Attached Images

Must admit even though you say the video you uploaded was inferior .... I still think it was very good and very effective.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    It is indeed limited thought I'd venture to suggest too detailed for some purposes.

Often you wnat to give just a rough idea of a location or a route. For my "Mallorca" film, three years ago, I had to remove the detail as I only wanted a brief glimpse - any more info would have been too much to take in (checkout 0:54 for locations & 2:27 for route example and try to ignore the quality!) http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...ts-please.html

What you did with C4D and the digital maps sounds really cool (am I too old to say that?) A great shame OS didn't allow you to use the digitized mapes, however I look forward to seeing the alternative you managed. Don't forget to paste the link.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Tim. The "Route" effect you had in that video is EXACTLY what I need. Would you be so kind as to fill me in on how I can do that with my route? Many thanks if you even reply, as I know the post was 2 years ago!

Blog Entries

Hi Tim. The "Route" effect you had in that video is EXACTLY what I need. Would you be so kind as to fill me in on how I can do that with my route? Many thanks if you even reply, as I know the post was 2 years ago![/QUOTE]

The post was three years ago but the film was five years ago.

You don't say what software you are using but the principal of what i used there is the same.

You need two layers. The bottom layer is your background map. The upper layer contains a drawing of the whole route only with a transparent background. You will probably need to draw this in photo-editing software and export it as one of the image types that understands transparency.

It is then simply (!) a matter of applying a mask to the upper image so that at first only the start appears and more is revealed as tiem goes by. If you are not familiar with these concepts you need to look up how your software deals with "masks" and "keyframes". It takes a little learning, but once understood becomes second nature.
    Tim

9. Default

Hi Tim, thanks for the reply! I can use Sony Vegas quite well, within which I've had experience with keyframes and masks. I can see how it would be possible now thanks to your comment, but any more tips/advice/techniques on actually making the map etc? Thanks a bunch for the reply man, really helped me out! Connor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat_Assassin View Post
    but any more tips/advice/techniques on actually making the map etc?
    In this instance I think I imported into Serif Photo Plus (a poor man's Photoshop) the bottom image (which doesn't show roads) and overlaid one which does (to use as a guide) onto another layer. I then resized the images to exactly match the size of the video (with HD this is farily easy as pixels in both that and in photo editing software are square. HDV and SD video use non-square pixels so go by dimensions rather than no of pixels).
    I then created a new layer and "drew" using a pen tool or similar, a freehand line over the route we took and adjusted to taste (rather poor taste in the case of this video, but it was still fairly days for me)
    I then simply exported the bottom layer and the top layer as separate images, imported them onto separate tracks in Vegas, animated a mask over the top one and that was that.
    In practice it's more fiddly and time consuming than it sounds unless you're doing it all the time, but that was the basic principle.
    Tim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast