Thread: Adding Effects

Default Adding Effects

Hi

Apologies in advance for the silly question. I am not new to Vegas but i have only now built up the confidence to start playing with some effects on my videos. What i am wanting to do is use the defocus but for only 1 sec of a 10 sec clip. It's for a car racing video and i just want it to defocus for that 1 sec. But every time i insert the effect, it is visible for the whole clip.

Can somebody please tell how i go about this?

It's using Sony Vegas 10

Scorz

Either split this second out (tap S at the start and end of the selection) and apply the effect to this event or use keyframes. You will probably need to expand the size of the track using your mouse wheel or the indicators under the timeline to achieve any accuracy).

Richard

Richard is correct but depending on the look you want, you need to use the split clip method if you want a sudden focus or the key frame method if you want a more gradual back to focus look.

No expert in my Vegas Studio 10.
    But:
    Wouldn't be nice if we could apply a blank transparent TITLE (text) to the part of the vid that needs DeFocus? (or any other effect, like lighten, colour balance, etc.).

Perhaps I should look for something like that - in much the same way a cameraman applies a glass "filter" to the lens, or in the days of silver, applies a mixture of Farmer's Reducer to the neg...
    ((Scorz implied that he was reasonably experienced in Vegas, so I don't see a Reply that mimics my suggestion - so presumably it's not there))

There are many VideoFX that can be applied - why aren't these suggested, I wonder . . . .

However, in the "Production Suite" DVD Tutorial there is a mention of a defocus (Pixilate) within an ellipse - to hide someone's face I think.....but Vegas doesn't track the image - you have to shift it in keyframes, - er, I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    No expert in my Vegas Studio 10.
    But:
    Wouldn't be nice if we could apply a blank transparent TITLE (text) to the part of the vid that needs DeFocus? (or any other effect, like lighten, colour balance, etc.).
    I'm not sure what you're trying to describe here, but, if you mean you want an image which is in fovus, but part of that image out of focus, and the part which is out of focus to be the shape of some text, you most certainly can do this very easily.
    Duplicate the track with the image so it's on tracks 2 & 3. Put normal white text on transparet background on track 1.
    Make track 1the parent of track 2.
    Change the composite mode of track 1 to "Multiply(Mask)"
    Defocus track2
    Job done.

I've just tried it and I can't imaging why you'd want to. It looks dreadful (maybe it depends on the image)

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    However, in the "Production Suite" DVD Tutorial there is a mention of a defocus (Pixilate) within an ellipse - to hide someone's face I think.....but Vegas doesn't track the image - you have to shift it in keyframes, - er, I think.
    Correct, Vegas doesn't include automatic motion tracking.
    Tim