Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screenshots on copywrighted dvds?

1. Default Screenshots on copywrighted dvds?

Maybe someone here will know...
    I want to take screenshots of dvd movies I have. For my desktop. Ok, it's not for my desktop, it's so I can put a picture on my desktop as refrence so I can make a sexy little Keanu Reeves sim for my Sims II game. Then when I'm done I can drool over my desktop. Shut up. Anyway, when I play the movie, it will only play on it's own player, not the other dvd software stuff I have, and if I press the screenshot button, it exits the movie and will not copy it so I can print it onto a graphics program. Anyone know of a screenshot program or other way I can do this? All the stills I've found online suck, at least for sim creating purposes.

Blog Entries

You should be able to export a still from your DVD player software. Check the help file. Failing that, you need an app capable of capturing directx based, erm, "stuff" (such as hypercam DX). Failing that, import a ripped VOB into your editiung app and export a still (rembering to de-interlace in your image editor).

Blog Entries

Or ask Mike for his best picture. He looks like Keanu.

He doesn't look like Keanu

Marcus, shush.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    You should be able to export a still from your DVD player software. Check the help file. Failing that, you need an app capable of capturing directx based, erm, "stuff" (such as hypercam DX).
    Cool, I'll try that hypercam thing. None of my video stuff seems to want to open it. I never did get my Premire to work again.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Or ask Mike for his best picture. He looks like Keanu.

He doesn't look like Keanu
    Cheeky monkey.

Sara,
    if you don't have it already try the demmo version of Inter Video win dvd

http://www.intervideo.com/jsp/WinDVD_Profile.jsp

I got good stills of the Minis in the Italian Job from it.

7. Default

OMG! I'm a dork, call me a dork right now! I can't beleive what a freakin' idiot I am! I spent all day trying to get a stupid screenshot, because that's just how stubborn I am. I downloaded hypercam and spent two hours trying to defeat the apparent flaw that my player I was using didn't use direct X to play, so it couldn't capture. I tried this method, I tried that method, I pulled out my hair and had my first ciggarette in three weeks. (Don't worry, the one three weeks ago was my first in two years, not likely I'll start again).
    Then I remembered, I had more than the Interactual Player and PCFriendly Dvd players installed. Hidden on my computer, with no desktop, startup menu, or quick launch icons, was my first dvd player. Power Dvd. With a nice little capture screen button right on the bar you use to play the movie.
    *hits self repeatedly*

Do you see what time it is!!! Do you see the stupid ways I love to obsess and waste an entire day?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sara_dippity
    Do you see what time it is!!! Do you see the stupid ways I love to obsess and waste an entire day?!
    This very forum was born out of such obsessions

funny thing is, Sara, it is always the simple solution that comes to us late at night when the brain has stopped working.

10. Default

Then I'm due a brainstorm, because after a break, it's now 2:30 am and I recently decided to browse my movie for stills. They're all streatchy and tall, and it doesn't fix if I try deinterlacing in Adobe. Besides, I thought interlacing made artifacts, so I don't think that's my problem. Grr. Fix tonight, or sleep, the internal debate begins. I'm growing a hate here.
    I know what you mean about the forum, Mr. Peters, sir. I had one myself once, had to let it go, took up like 22 hours of my day. I quite happily gave my time, but my silly husband took offense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast