Thread: Race Day

Default Race Day

yes its rough as a bears

just thought petrol heads may enjoy it ! i resisted the temptation to go all "Top Gear" with it instead employing subtle colour grading in mb mojo.

Blog Entries

Mixed comments from me:

Good start - built up the tension nicely.
    The shots looked great - that combination of your cam and the MB Mojo are really impressive.
    I don't know whether it's a feature of teh camera or just YT encoding,but shots with fast camera movement seemed very jittery.
    On the other hand yous slow camera movements were well executed and came over very effectively.

In terms of content, I'm afraid it failed to hold my interest for the whole length and I think this is the problem with something which is basically a montage (I've just 90% completed a film and realised that it has exactly the same problem, so I'm trying at the momebt to figure how best to mix it with interview and/or narration). I'd say a good montage lasting 1:30 to 2:00 leaving the viewer wanting more is probably a reasonable rule of thumb - if it tells a story. Shorter if it doesn't.

I'm also not sure about mixing the slideshow of stills in.

On the other hand, if you want to get as much in as possible so as to appeal to those present and other enthusisats, it ticks all the boxes.
    Tim

yes its rough as a bears
    I wish my best stuff was a good as your rough stuff.

Pretty much agree with Tim, really great shots, but to long to hold my attention all the way through. I would say because the photography is so good, I could do 5 mins. I agree that the slide show at the end, although nicely taken photos, didn't add to the piece. Editing wise, I thought you did a great job, You always seem to find just the right music and match it well with the visuals. I suppose real petrol heads will love it.

yes yes, your both absolutely right, it is way too long and I'm not a lover of the video/still combo either its just that this was edited with the car club in mind.... just to give an idea of atmosphere on the day. with feed back received from a couple of the club members this it does. incidentally Russell the owner of car number 23, "Doris" the red Renault 5 has agreed to do an episode of "Me And My" with me. Russell has owned "Doris" for 18 years so it should make for an interesting piece.

Tim, the MP4 render played back very smoothly, frustratingly, the YouTube upload and burned DVD do not.

Thanks for your comments and as i say it was just a run and gun effort shot over a couple of hours the otjher Sunday. would have been nice to have a tripod and slider to hand but hey ho !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Tim, the MP4 render played back very smoothly, frustratingly, the YouTube upload and burned DVD do not.
    Not my area of expertise, but I wonder if reducing the bitrate for the MPEG2 (DVD) might improve things - I'd be interested if this makes any difference if you get a chance.
    I'll await Russel's "Me And My ..." with great interest.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Not my area of expertise, but I wonder if reducing the bitrate for the MPEG2 (DVD) might improve things - I'd be interested if this makes any difference if you get a chance.
    I'l.
    cheers tim i'll have a play.