Thread: Do we have to render.

Wink Do we have to render.

HI all i am a newbie, i have an imac with this spec,
    Processor 2.8 Ghz intel i5,
    Memory 12Gb 1333 MhzDDR3
    4 core,
    My editing software is Adobe premiere elements 9,

Now when i come to render it seems to take ages, if i have an half hour finished film which i have edited do i have to render, if so with my particular computer why does it take so long, allso is there any where on here which refers to my particular software to give me a hand thanks every one,

Regards Pete.

Welcome to the non-linear editing world!

Let me give you the definition of the word "render" and what it means in the video world.

Render means to process or generate/re-create a new video frame/clip after it's been modified from the original video frame/clip. Example: If you want to remove color from a video clip, you will need to remove the saturation (color) using a video filter. This video clip, will then need to generated or "rendered" to create the newly modified black and white (monochrome) video clip. This will re-create a new video file, using the raw footage combined with the video filter to create the modified/enhanced video.

Yes, we all have to render our video within our editors. But there's different times for rendering.

1). When you first pull in your footage into Premiere, you should be able to edit in a native format. This means that your project is set to the same specs as your footage, and Premiere does not have to render it to preview/play it.

2). Once you start adding video filters, additional video layers or modify your raw footage in anyway, your footage will need to be rendered. However, Premiere along with Vegas have "realtime" preview features. This means, that these applications can playback your footage in realtime with the new changes/filters you just added to your footage. If you start adding a lot of filters or add GPU effects (Graphics Processing Unit required effects, OpenGL), then you'll start to see slower frame rates during the realtime previewing/playback of your footage depending on how fast your system's hardware is. But, since we don't have to render every time we make a change to our raw footage, this saves us tons of time!

3). When you're finally finished with your project and you're ready to deliver to the web, dvd, blu-ray or other media format, your entire video project will need to be exported (aka "rendered" to a new file).

Hope this gives you a better understanding of when "rendering" comes into play.

-Mike

Unfortunately it's the nature of the beast. Make some nachos or take a brisk walk while you wait, after a while the render process turns into a much needed breather between heavy bouts of concentration.

Some NLE programs are 'proud' to be able to edit in 'native format'. With HD material (HDV or AVCHD) you must NOT do that!. By everything you change you make, all has to be rendered again. In Final Cut Pro (I use version 6) I capture my footage with the ProRes422 codec. The heavy compressed AVCHD footage will be decompressed. This take time, and you files will be enormous. But than you can work further with a much much less compressed material, so that you don't have to render so much. And the quality stays better.
    Compare it with working on a jpeg photo: every time you load it, process it and save it (as compressed jpeg) it will be a little worse every time. When you start editing, you want to have a RAW image. Only when you are finished with processing, you can save it as jpg to make it smaller. I don't know if Premiere has such an option to decompress while importing.
    Good luck, Jan de Bloois

Surely "Rendering" is the process (as explained here) that removes all the bits you thought might come in handy but didn't for one reason or another. It also fixes those lovely "transitions" that film-buffs like so much?
    Er, and colour correction, although I don't do this myself - maybe my playback gear isn't so fussy and I can choose when to film.

The Poster who wants to speed things up - there is probably a good reason for the slowness . . . . . . remove any other tasks that are running, add more memory, get a multi-core processor and do not use a HDD connected by USB (-your "original" files should be copied onto an internal HDD, so they can be moved about quickly). Card-readers can be quite slow, I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    The Poster who wants to speed things up - there is probably a good reason for the slowness . . . . . . remove any other tasks that are running, add more memory, get a multi-core processor and do not use a HDD connected by USB (-your "original" files should be copied onto an internal HDD, so they can be moved about quickly). Card-readers can be quite slow, I understand.
    the OP has an i5 quad core processor with 12GB of ram i would have thought this should be able to handle most formats. though he doesn't mention what format his footage is ..... now supposing the footage is AVCHD..... although Adobe claim elements 9 is AVCHD friendly it will still take time to render especially if colour correction, transitions, multi channels etc are added.

To help with rendering in Premiere Pro Adobe make use of the 'mercury playback engine' to use the MPBE your computer should have a compatible Nvidia graphics card.

sadly at present there is no easy solution.