Thread: A workable rig?

Default A workable rig?

Ok guys, I know this isn't a "perfect" work rig but I'm wondering, for those more experienced with HD editing, if this is a suitable system to get me by for now. I have worked with SD for years but I know HD is a different animal. I am finally getting into the HD game (clients are requesting it too much to ignore anymore) and wonder if what I currently have will get me by for a while. So, here it is:

Vista 32 bit with 4G RAM
    Intel Q6600 (quad core @ 2.4Ghz)
    upgrading the video card to either Nvidia Quadro FX 1700 or the 8800 GTX (currently houses a Radeon 3450)
    Blu-Ray burner (don't have one yet - suggestions?)
    multiple HDDs for keeping all preview renders, OS files, & video files separated

Will be getting a couple of Panasonic HD camcorders (fan of SD Panasonic products for years) using AVCHD. Thoughts my friends?

Thanks in advance for the valued opinions.

Hey Man,

Your system will do... but it's not ideal. The fact that you don't have a 64bit OS, this is going to slow things down quite a bit. Also, your ram is limited. The quad core will do.

This system will especially not be good since you'll be editing video files using the AVCHD codec. This codec is nice for keeping small file sizes, but you need a godly system to edit these files (AVCHD) natively without converting them to a less compressed file. You may have to convert them if your system bogs down.

Bottom line... you're current system will work for now.

-Mike

Thanks for the quick reply. Greetings from nearby Hickory, NC btw. Okay, this brings up another question. As I'd mentioned, I am just now studying and learning all of the meticulous details of the different HD formats. Is AVCHD a good format to work with or is there a better format that I need to be looking to use? AVCHD is what I first came across and have learned a little about just because (as I mentioned earlier) I'm a fan of Panasonic.

Thanks for the help.

Hickory, NC? Very cool.

AVCHD is a good format if you're going to be doing a lot of archiving, because it can be compressed to a small file size so well. It is the best codec for least amount of space, but there are better codecs if you want quality. If your productions are going on the web, I'd say the AVCHD codec will do fine. If you're getting into producing on blu-rays or other high res stuff, you'll be seeing defects in the darks and low lit scenes, and you'll have to do more work in post to fix it.

AVCHD for me, has been difficult to edit with, and is pretty bad when adding visual effects to it, but it's due-able.

I guess you'll have to see the results for yourself and see how picky you want to be.

PM me if you want to talk in more detail.

-Mike