Thread: Using Super Mario Theme Tune for Credits.

1. Default Using Super Mario Theme Tune for Credits.

Hi everyone.

I am just about to complete a re-edit of a student film I directed (zero budget). Its a comedy similar in style to the comedy 'Spaced'. It features a few shots of the video game Call of Duty.

I assume I may already be on reasonably thin ice using shots of that game but am wondering how much thinner the ice would get if I was to use the Super Mario theme for about 10 seconds over the end credits.

Being zero budget etc, can I get away with this as long as I mention it in the credits? What exactly would I need to say?

Would this exclude me from entering the film into competitions (or has Call of Duty already eliminated me)?

I am sure the Mario music copyright is held by someone or company, but getting permission may become a complicated process. I don't like folk to steal music. I like to see "by kind permission" credits. It demonstrates a level of honesty nad professionalism. I have no idea about 'competitions'. Best read the relevant rules.
    There is an excellent story told by Paulears in this thread, where he composes a new audio track in the required style. I don't actually know the Mario music, but assume it would be easy to find someone to 'compose' 10 seconds of something which sounded similar.

I am no lawyer but i am pretty certain that you are in breach of Music Copyright, Intellectual Property rights and Trademark copyright infringements... i understand that at least Nintendo have already hammered one person for using part of a Super Mario game graphics, and the character from the game in some kind of video manipulation on the web.

I am sure that copyright infringement like this takes place daily, but is it worth the risk, and can you afford the potential penalties?

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Anthony, the occasional plug is OK, but you're getting dangerously close to being annoying.

5. Default

Thanks for the replies. Although this is an old thread and I have released the film with the music composed by someone else. Whether Nintendo are happy with it, I dont know..