Thread: Newbie question - timeline problem.

Default Newbie question - timeline problem.

Hi all.

I'm very new to all this so please be gentle!

I am hoping to use a series of still images - jpegs to create a stop motion style film for a school project.

When I import the images and drag them to the timeline thingie all works fine but the images are on screen for about 5 seconds each frame.

Simple question - how do I reduce that to 15 frames per second for all of them and not just individually?

Many thanks and I am sure it is really easy and I should mnow how to do it!

There is a default media setting in the preferences. this will set the default duration of the photos as you drag them to the time line. You don't want to change the frame rate, keep it at 25fps for UK PAL or 30fps for USA NTSC

Hi MB, thanks for the reply.

Sorry but I think I described what I want to do all wrong!

I'm trying to make something similar to a Wallace and Grommit film with lots of individual photographs.

I am trying to reduce the length of time each photograph is on screen to a fraction of a second instead of 5 seconds - not alter the 25fps setting.

I hope this makes sense, but if it doesn't I apologise.

Thanks again gc

I think my first answer was what you need. You will have to remove all the pictures from the time line then in the preferences, (NOT THE PROPERTIES) on the edit tab change the" New still image length(seconds)" to 0.6 this will give you 15fps at 25fps ie each picture when entered on the time line will be set to a default 0.15 seconds long. Now drag all the picture back on to the time line and they will all be this legth.

I think thats what you need. If not let me know.

-earlier reply lost in space-

In my Vegas Studio 10, that still-rate can only be set to a figure that's less than 25fps - surely this should be my option?
    Midnight Blue's answer to OP suggested as much.

Credit Roll - How do I set the speed so it's slow enough to read the whole line?
    The "time" should be a function of the number of words...

I found what I thougfgt was a solution "Properties" by clicking on the CR window when on the Timeline....but it only affects that ONE roll.... It's a real pain to click even a small change.... why is it like this?

Also.... I've changed the Layout Default (in error)....it used to allow Editing of Text in the middle window with the Preview right . . . by aligning the timeline cursor I can edit the text and watch the changes (useful when using colours, etc.).
    BUT now It is on the right, Text Edit and Preview occupy the same window, with changeover buttons . . . .but I can't find a way to shift (text-editor) back...

AND why does it default to Arial 72pt.....far too big.

....Sorry if these are regular Q's....
    Last edited by vidmanners; 07-14-2011 at 01:09 AM.

just expand the timeline so it shows each frame and drag the image accordingly to how many frames you want it to last

I must try that, I'm guessing then the pics will "naturally" be as-per the Properties Setting - but I can squeeze them up - thanks for that...I try it soon as.