Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new film 'what is art ?'

Default My new film 'what is art ?'

This is a piece Ive been working on since about 7pm tonight. Little bit rushed perhaps, but those of you in the know will see it for what it is, full of enlightenment and deep meanings, that not all of you will understand. Art is called a lot of things, hopefully, this is just another example of it. Ive painstakingly edited it down to under two minutes from at least 4 minutes of footage.

Enjoy.

Last edited by jimbob2k; 07-11-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Cool

@jimbob2k - you sir, are a feckin' genius.

Please accept this lottery grant of 5,000,000 for changing the way we think about the world.
    Last edited by Thurston Lang; 07-11-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Blog Entries

I've always liked a film with a massage in it. In fact I think I'll go and watch one.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob2k View Post
    those of you in the know will see it for what it is, full of enlightenment and deep meanings, that not all of you will understand
    I confess, I did not understand it. I would be very pleased if you could write a short explanation. I am easily confused about art; and would love to hear your interpretation of this unusual clip. And why you had to rush the work and leave so many rough sections.

Blog Entries

Unfortunately Jimbob, it ain't art. It's more like what somebody who doesn't understand video art thinks it is. It may appear that video art is often just a selection of images thrown together but it isn't.

So Tim, the reason you didn't understand it is because there's nothing to understand.

Hahaha very good! Reminds me of something I saw on Virgin Media Shorts the other day... (something about phones)
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

@Jimbob. I just had to lauph and I still am.

Nice one.

PS I recognise the sound track.

I am reminded of the Punk music era, when clueless and talentless young people were able to convince enough people that they were artists.
    Nowadays, with the ever increasing use of cams and NLEs; such availability and acceptance might herald a culture of 'punk video', where the sense of nihilism is expressed by breaking all the existing rules.
    I agree, the clip is c**p. But if we were offered a deeper explanation, then we may at least know where he is coming from. And where he is going

I believe its a response to this thread: http://www.videoforums.co.uk/user-vi...ia-shorts.html
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

Aaaah I get it now. That's the problem. Young students see a bit of art video and think it's easy to do. I liken it to Jazz music. If you don't know about music then something like John Coltrane or Miles Davis sounds like a bloke making random noises but if you try and make the same sounds... it just comes out as noise.

I feel that the poster on the other thread thought that it was art because he said it was art. As Joseph Beuys said "Everyone is an artist" but not everyone is a good artist.

PS I'm married to an artist who does a lot of video art so I can be a bit sensitive on the subject.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast