Thread: Bitrate query using Sony DVD Architect Studio 2.0

Default Bitrate query using Sony DVD Architect Studio 2.0

I have read though some of the discussions about bitrate selection and in particular, the benefits of using Variable Bitrate (VBR) to maximise disc space.

My problem is, I don't think Sony DVD Architect Studio 2.0 has this option, only constant bitrate, (CBR). Am I correct, or am I not looking hard enough?

I'm trying to fit about 90 mins of edited footage onto a 4.7GB DVD. I can do this with a CBR of around 4000Mbps and there doesn't appear to be any loss of quality.

Thanks for your help. I look forward to the day when I can offer tips and advice to others.

are you sure dvd architect doesn't? I've never used it, but it's sucky if it doesn't.

VBR would be best, but if it looks ok all the way through (and i mean all the way) with cbr at 4mbps, then go for it.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

If it has VBR, I can't find it but I'll keep looking.

In the mean time, I'll take your advice and watch the 90 min movie which was done at 4.0mbps and just go with that if it looks ok. Any probs and I might have to call it a two disc epic.

I guess if the bitrate is set too low it will most likely affect the fast moving scenes so they will be the one to watch closely?

Personally, I haven't been impressed with the Sony software but I know its a personal thing. I've enjoyed working with Pinnacle much more. But that's another story...

Quote Originally Posted by Starship Trooper
    I guess if the bitrate is set too low it will most likely affect the fast moving scenes so they will be the one to watch closely?
    Fast moving scenes, scenes with lots of detail, fast cuts, all that kinda stuff, yep.

Do you have any other mpeg encoders you could use?
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Yes, I've got Roxio Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 but it's a bit "Mickey Mouse" when it comes to DVD burning options ie "just fill in the boxes and don't expect to be able to add any of your own creativity". I haven't checked whether it has a VBR option. The 4.0 mbps looks good so that may have to do until I upgrade my software.

Thanks for your help mrlipring.