Thread: 1980's meets 2011 Comedy mini Episodes made by fans! based on Hit TV Show No. 73

Default Please Comment/Criticise my 1980's/2011 Fan made old No. 73 comedy Children's show!!

Hi, All, for the past year and a half i have been making tribute films based on the hit children's show No. 73, that starred the likes of Sandi Toksvig and Neil Buchanan.

- I have written the scripts, directed, made all the sets, and acted. would it be possible to have

-Positive, Negative and Critical Feedback, as i'd like to see viewers points of view!! as im new to making films and i am a proffessional Graphic Designer!!

links to the video's are on you tube as follows:

No. 73 Episode 1 part 1 'Anytime Anywhere'

No. 73 Episode 1 part 2 'Anytime Anywhere'

No. 73 Episode 2 part 1 'The Roller Skates'

Ian
    Last edited by ianharding; 07-09-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: forgot to put about asking the =users to comment and critisicise on title

No. 73 Episode 2 part 2 'The Roller Skate's

I'm sorry Ian, I tried to watch it but it's has so many errors I don't know where to start. The best advice I can give you is the mic up the actors individually with stage or clip on mics. This will help you with the bad sound. This will also increase the technical challenge you have set your self to do this project. Because of the way it is filmed it looks like you are filming a play on a stage rather than mimicking an old TV program. Look back at the tapes of the program and notice the shots that it has and try and copy them.

The other thing is, the acting is hard to watch unless you are really into the "this is a kids program, updated for adults kind of idea" which just didn't work for me. I don't know the original program and get the feeling that that is a good thing for me. I can see you have gone to a lot of effort with this project but to be honest unless the over all production quality improves it's just going to be something you and your friend might like to watch and remember the good times you had making it. If that's all you want then just have fun with it.

I'm sorry if this is negative but I don't find a lot to be positive about with it.

Hi, Midnight Blue,

Thank you for commenting on my video's, it helps me look at the whole picture and see what need tweeking and improving, yes i guess it does look more theatrical due to the actors!! microphone was good in parts and low in others, we although did recreate some of the things that was on the original show, eg 'The Sandwich Quiz', as for the characters we all played the originals but ourselves, No. 73 was quite wild and wacky anyway plus also on the original show there was alot of improvising!!

We have a 3rd episode in the making called 'Achoo', and a s disscussed i would like this to be the best recording, taking in your advice and others and try and work hard on those area's not so good,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ianharding View Post
    yes i guess it does look more theatrical due to the actors!!
    No, it's because of the way it was filmed - it's like attempting to film a play at the local theatre with one camera.
    Virtually every scene is shot from one position only. Learn to mix wide, mid and close-up shots together with cutaways. Take the scene around 5.30 (part 1) - a lengthy shot from one wide angle soon loses the viewer's interest.

microphone was good in parts and low in others,
    It's not about the volume, it's about the roomy echo throughout. Close micing eliminates this.

Another issue is the lighting. Look at the shadows in teh scene I mentioned above and look at how poorly lit the talent is in the scene around 3min (same video). These are just two examples, but there are similar problems throughout.

Then there's the beginning. 1:43 before anything happens, including 1:07 to 1:41 of the same static shot with a "sunrise" which takes only 6 of those seconds. I'd cut the whole of that shot to the bit between 1:19 and 1:24 and even then speed it up.

You have put a lot of effort into building the sets (which I rather like) and the script (which I don't, but that's neither here nor there) but then seem to be doing your best to spoil it.

I'm also at a loss as to why make this. You say it's a tribute, but who's the intended audience? Assumning you progress to the point where you make these flawless (which I hope you do), who is going to watch?
    Tim

Hi, Tim, The films were recorded at the theatre and at home in my living room, the echo probably was to do do with this! in the second episode i learned how to mix shots up and close ups when the actors when they were talking there is 3, but the scenery had a part in the problem filming in the same position.

We did have lighting problems alot in both episodes, with the new episode called 'Achoo' i'm buying more spotlights, as the new 4 scenes are in my big long lounge and i will take on everyones advice to try and make the recording better!!

I have to state that the video's are theatrical ,

The target Audience is 12+ plus but because this program was from the the 1980's its been targeted at the old fans of the show or those who still are fans, i have contacts with with lots of the fans and even some of the original cast!! with great feedback.

I have made the video's because i'm a big fan, and because on facebook there was a page called 'Bring Back No. 73', ive also met original cast member Sandi Toksvig herself!!
    Last edited by ianharding; 07-10-2011 at 11:40 AM.

Blog Entries

Unless you close mic, as Midnight said in hs first post, you will get a lot of room noise/echo wherever you film.
    The target Audience is 12+ plus but because this program was from the the 1980's its been targeted at the old fans of the show or those who still are fans, i have contacts with with lots of the fans and even some of the original cast!! with great feedback.

I have made the video's because i'm a big fan, and because on facebook there was a page called 'Bring Back No. 73', ive also met original cast member Sandi Toksvig herself!!
    Well, if you have a market - you need to fill it. good luck and post your future episodes here so we can see how you improve.
    Tim

indeed, i will analyse the areas to improve them, as for filling the target audience in the next episode i have a slot where Neil, show viewers hot to make a cardboard tea and coffee making machine, this will have lots of different shots to record this part. This will be in Blue Peter style.

Thank You

Ian