Thread: merging video and audio files question

Default merging video and audio files question

hello,
    I have two files one is video .avi 720p (1h long, 1.6Gb heavy) and another one is .mp3 file, which is dub to the movie.

Basically what I do is only adding the audio track to the video in Vegas.

But here comes my question. What do I do now ? If I try rendering it in the sony AVC type (with the same settings as the input video) it takes me 2.5hours, which is really long.

Is there any other faster way to save those 2 in one merged file without rendering? Because I don't really need to change input video format..just adding soundtrack to it.

You can set Vegas to not re-render video frames that have not been altered. This should drastically reduce your rendering times.

In the Preferences, on the general tab make sure "no re-compress long GOP rendering" box is ticked. Also you have to match exactly the properties of the original footage, including bit rate, size etc....

Anything you can do on these lines will reduce rendering times. Also make sure the computer is defraged, nothing is running in the background etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You can set Vegas to not re-render video frames that have not been altered. This should drastically reduce your rendering times.

In the Preferences, on the general tab make sure "no re-compress long GOP rendering" box is ticked. Also you have to match exactly the properties of the original footage, including bit rate, size etc....

Anything you can do on these lines will reduce rendering times. Also make sure the computer is defraged, nothing is running in the background etc....
    It was tickied.. I tried to set bit rate same as in the video file properties.. I'm vegas nooby, maybe I'm doing something wrong ?

And also how is Avi weighing only ~1.6 gb? Cause if render in vegas it should be much more.
    Is that just renamed file extension ?

Right, if you render a .avi file as a mpeg it will still render every frame. I you want to reduce the rendering time you will have to render in the same format as the original. A .avi is what's called a wrapper but what is inside the wrapper you will have to find out with a programe called Gspot which will tell you what codec was used. If that makes any sense to you.

I'm not sure about the 1.6Gb file size seems a bit small for HD footage but I don't know the length of the video.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Right, if you render a .avi file as a mpeg it will still render every frame. I you want to reduce the rendering time you will have to render in the same format as the original. A .avi is what's called a wrapper but what is inside the wrapper you will have to find out with a programe called Gspot which will tell you what codec was used. If that makes any sense to you.

I'm not sure about the 1.6Gb file size seems a bit small for HD footage but I don't know the length of the video.

Here's the video.
    I've been told that what I want to do is called muxing, and adviced to use tsMuxer, but it doesn't support .avi format. I guess i'm cluless about all those formats.

Muxing may be a way to go but I have no experience with this so can't help you. The best advice I can give you is to use the Sony AVC - Internet 16:9 HD 30p template as this seems the closest to the original footage you could match the bit rate but watch out for the quality being poor if you go too low, Gspot says the bit rate is 3020 kbps. This may not reduce the rendering time for you very much, the rest is upto the power of the processor of your computer. 2 hours rendering time for a 1 hour lenth video is not a long time.

Hope this helps.