Thread: Recording sound seperately...whats best?

Default Recording sound seperately...whats best?

This has been puzzling me for a while, how many people record audio seperately then synch it in the software later. Im thinking of using a zoom H2 recorder after reading some good reviews of it. Possible with an external mic. Does anyone have any better recommendations for recording the sound seperately?

My videos normally just have a peice of music playing over them, this is one of the reasons why.

The method of recording will depend on the type of thing you are filming and in what circumstances. I have a Zoom and can recommend them for their quality and ease of use. The only thing to consider about the H2 is that you would have to get another piece of kit to enable you to use a mic with an XLR plug or get the H4n which will accept XLR or jack plugs or just use a mic with jack plugs or you could use the internal mics. I have often used the internal mics on my H4n as they are quite good quality BUT I have also used it with an external mic which also works well.

Here's an example of a test I did with my Zoom H4n.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

I generally record both. I use the on camera sound either to sync or I use a shotgun on the camera for the directional sound and mix it with ambient from my H2 (so I can focus in on the subject with the boom/handheld yet get a stereo ambient)

Blog Entries

Audio always sounds best if the microphone is relatively near to the source. So a Zoom a couple of meters from a singer will sound better than a shotgun microphone at the back of the hall. You can always add distortion, echo and suchlike in the edit but you can't remove it if it was recorded in the original.
    The weakest part of the Zoom is/are the inbuilt microphones. That doesn't mean that they are "weak", on the contrary, just that the whole H2 costs 200 so you're not going to get thousand pound mics. Having said that, they are actually very good for what they are and will certainly sound "better" than your camcorder's inbuilt mic. An H2, on a stand, at the front of a choir or band produces remarkably good audio.

You can also use the Zoom if you don't have a radio-mic. Audio Technica do a lavalier which is relatively cheap, has its own power supply, and has a 3,5mm plug which fits straight into the Zoom H2.

The AD converter (analogue to digital converter) on the Zooms is also very good. So if you add a good microphone to the kit then you can record top-notch audio. The only down-side is that the H2 doesn't have XLR inputs.