Thread: Inserting Timecode To Start At Selected Frame ?

1. Default Inserting Timecode To Start At Selected Frame ?

Hi,

As a total newbie to video editing would anyone please be able to tell me if I can insert a timecode to start at a specific frame in a video?

I am using Sony Vegas Pro v10 and have loaded my video and found the frame point at which I wish to insert the timecode. However, if I use Vfx and select timecode then drag and drop it into the video it is locating it at the 1st frame of the video when in fact I wish it to start counting at frame 31.

Rgds

I only edit with Premiere but Vegas should be the same way. Try slicing the clip at frame 31, then add your filter to that video clip. Your timecode should then start at 00:00:00 at that point... frame 31.

-Mike

3. Default

Mike,

Thx for the tip re slicing. I sliced the video at frame 31 then added the time code and it works OK.

The initial file format of the video was mp4 but when I try to do a "Save As", I cannot seem to save the file in its original format, is this because I used Sony Vegas to insert the timecode? Ideally I would like to save the file including the timecode in a format that I can send to a colleague so that it can be played without having to have Sony Vegas installed on the recipients PC. Apologies for such a dumb question but I am such a newbie it hurts !!

Rgds

You'll want to choose "File =>Render As." Then you can choose your export settings... save it as a mp4 or whatever.

You may want to start by using some of Vegas' export presets. If you enter the wrong settings, you could end up with a massive file and it would take too long to send to your colleague via internet.

Again, since I'm only a Premiere Pro editor, any of you Vegas editors can give more info if needed.

-Mike

Like Mike says choose Render As to make the new video and select one of the presets. You would be best choosing one which matches with your original footage. ie if the size was 720p then use a mpeg4 720p template. Sony Vegas has a very good interactive tutorial built into the program which may help you. It also has an extensive help file. You can always come back here if you get stuck.

6. Default

Thanks for all of your help, I used the render option to save the file as mp4 which was its original format. It all runs OK, thx.

Rgds
    wet bimbette