Thread: opening .vf movie studio files on old versions created with new versions.

Default opening .vf movie studio files on old versions created with new versions.

I have 4 computers, 2 at home and 2 at work. Each has a different Movie Studio ( 8, 9, 10, 11). Occasionally I have a need to open a old .vf in a newer version. Is there a way to do tha?
    Jerryq

Blog Entries

I suspect the fact you are asking the question rather suggests the answer.
    Vegas project files are not generally backwards compatible.
    Tim

I understant the issue of not being backward compatible but I just have a need to open a newer .vf on a computer that contains an older Movie Studio app. I do not need to edit it. I would just like to be able to open it and look at events "one frame at a time". I do not need to do this often or would have already purchased an EXTRA copy of each version of Movie Studio. I just need to ocassionall open the file. I was hoping there was a way to do this. I don't desire to break a license aggreement.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryq View Post
    I understant the issue of not being backward compatible but I just have a need to open a newer .vf on a computer that contains an older Movie Studio app. I do not need to edit it. I would just like to be able to open it and look at events "one frame at a time". I do not need to do this often or would have already purchased an EXTRA copy of each version of Movie Studio. I just need to ocassionall open the file. I was hoping there was a way to do this. I don't desire to break a license aggreement.
    That's what not being backward compatible means - you can't open a newer project with an older version.

However, you can, of course, open completed videos. So simply render your project in the newer version (prefereably to the same settigs as the source media), then open the resultant file in the old version of VMS (or, indeed, any other software which lets you look at it frame by frame)

Also it's worth checking out the licence for VMS. With Vegas Pro, you can install it on more than one machine so long as you do not use it on more than one machine concurrently. It may be the same for VMS.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 07-08-2011 at 08:41 AM.
    Tim