Thread: Limiting the amount of zooming After Effects is doing during stabilization?

Question Limiting the amount of zooming After Effects is doing during stabilization?

At the moment, I am using the following settings (the default settings, I believe) to stabilize a sweeping crowd 1080p shot I made at a recent festival:

Stabilization
    - Result: Smooth Motion
    - Smoothness: 50%
    - Method: Position, Scale, Rotation

Borders
    - Framing: Stabilize, Crop, Auto-scale
    - Auto-scale: 150%
    - Action-safe Margin: 0%
    - Additional Scale: 150%

However the resultant video, although very smooth, is very 'zoomed in' in order to get to that level of stabilization. I don't need it that stabilized.

Is there a half-way mark between the original and the video I am currently rendering using the settings above? If so, what settings should I use?

Many thanks!

You can fix this by changing the amount of zoom by lowing the "auto-scale" and "Additional scale" options. Try lowering it to 115% or 125%.

Sounds like there is a lot of shake in your footage, and that's why AE is having to zoom all the way into the 150% zoom limit to compensate for the shaky footage.

Also, when you lower the % amount of zoom in the stabilizer options, you will have to sacrifice smoothness (no shake) for quality. So in the end, your footage will have a little more shake, but you will still retain the quality of your footage.

FYI: When you start zooming in on HD footage, it's best not to zoom in past 115%. Past this point, you'll start to see quality loss.

Hope you get it to work!

-Mike