Thread: Some questions from an amateur

Default Some questions from an amateur

I'm in the process of finishing a movie and there are a few things which I'd like to know :

* I have a wav file for each scene in the movie, and although it's pretty easy to create a mix in which everything is audible and clear and well balanced, I don't know what I can do to make sure that the overall level of all the wav files are somehow calibrated in such a way that there isn't a big jump in level between one and another. How can I fix it so that they are all roughly the same level? I'm using Logic Platinum 5.5

* I'm using Windows Movie Maker. When rendering the final clip of each scene, what's the best format to use in terms of picture clarity?

* Where can I get the sound effect of someone talking on the phone, like in cartoons where you can hear the other person talking but it sounds fast and squeaky?
    Last edited by barneybear; 07-03-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Blog Entries

The Levelator® from The Conversations Network

This may or may not be absolutely ideal for what you're trying to do. I find it a very useful tool in my armoury.
    And it's free

Create one long final wav file, run it through Levelator and the software will work a bit of magic and make it all - well, level.

It will most probably work if you want all dialoge to be level, but if you deliberately want some quiet and distant and some close up, it's nit the tool to use.
    Tim

I'm not sure that Logic will allow me to create a 3 hour wav file. I'll have a go anyway.

I'm also wondering if there is an online application where you can print CD covers. I've had a look around but I can't find anything.

Does not Logic have compressors,limiters and normalizers? (But I am sure Levelator would do the job)?
    I am unsure about an "online application where you can print CD covers". Is it that you already have the artwork, but your printer is unsuitable? I suspect many folk use the applications which tends to get bundled with CD and DVD creation software.

I have a printer but it's out of action. The idea is to have someone else do it for me, which is why I was after an online application that they could use.

But I've sorted that now. It's no longer a problem.

I've downloaded Levelator, and I've dragged and dropped a wav file into it, and I can open it but I thought I could make adjustments to the lebels. I've watched some tutorials and there's always a screen showing the wave form and how you can adjust the levels but I can never get that screen. My wav file either opens with wmp or it starts processing it in Levelator. How do I get that screen where I can see the wave form?

I wonder if this thread could be moved to a more suitable section. I don't really know why I put it here.
    Last edited by barneybear; 07-10-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barneybear View Post
    I wonder if this thread could be moved to a more suitable section. I don't really know why I put it here.
    Done!

I don't know what tutorials you've been looking at, but as far as I'm aware Leveleator doesn't allow you to adjust levels. It's a one-trick pony which will attempt (very successfully in my experience) to bring all dialogue to a similar level. Whilst it is designed for situations where you ahve different interviewees at different levels I thought it was worth a shot in your situation.

What wre your results like? What worked and what didn't?
    Tim

Well I tried it on a couple of files. Not together, but separately. There is a difference, in that when there's loud music, it doesn't sound so loud, which is good. At the same time it sounds ever so slightly artificial, not extremely noticeable (although maybe I was being overly critical when listening to it and comparing it with the original), but I don't mind that. I'm an amateur and I'm not trying to be do a professional job because I have no experience of this and the software that I'm using is pretty basic. And besides, the movie is 99% finished and there's no point in making changes. Anyway it sounded clear enough to me. I understand that Levelator isn't good for files with music in them (although I don't know why that would be...do you know?), but pretty much all of mine do have music in them. But I can't say I'm disappointed with the result. In my movie there are 41 scenes, and therefore 41 wav files. I'm hoping that when the whole movie plays, there isn't a major jump in level from one to another, and that when there's a loud bit (whether it be dialogue or music) it sits in the mix better than in the original. What I intend to do as soon as I've actually created the final wav files for each scene is to run each one through levelator separately and then put them together with the picture (I'm using WMMaker) and then play the whole movie and see if everything sounds ok. I expect there to be some odd results here and there but as long as it isn't too bad overall and as long as everything is reasonably clear and you can hear what everyone is saying I'm fine with that.
    Last edited by barneybear; 07-14-2011 at 12:10 AM.