Thread: Only rendering the first 10 seconds of a 20 minute clip in After Effects?

Question Only rendering the first 10 seconds of a 20 minute clip in After Effects?

Is this possible?

It would save me a lot of time whilst I am testing different things out.

er...yes....

you set the in and out points to include only the first ten secs on the timeline.

either that or hit RAM preview...depending on complexity you might get ten secs worth... if not then bring the resolution down to half or less - that will extend the RAM preview.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurston Lang View Post
    er...yes....

you set the in and out points to include only the first ten secs on the timeline.

either that or hit RAM preview...depending on complexity you might get ten secs worth... if not then bring the resolution down to half or less - that will extend the RAM preview.
    I have set the In and Out points in the preview window but when I add it to the Render Queue and render it, it renders the full 20-minute clip :/

Ah.

don't have AE in front of me...and don't know which version you're on....but have a look in preferences and see whether you can set the default render options there.
    They may be set to render all rather than render play area.

Failing that you may have to set the duration in the render option within render queue...

Hard without it in front of me... but have a look

AND - failing that...simply change the composition duration in composition settings.... it won't affect your layers and content duration which you are then able to go back to.
    Last edited by Thurston Lang; 07-02-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: more info

I'm not sure how complex your AE project is, but as Thurston Lang said, you may be hitting your cache limit.

You can also "purge" your cache and this will free up more temp space for longer previews. Go to Edit => Purge => All.

-Mike