Thread: Premier & AfterEffects Workflow Question

Default Premier & AfterEffects Workflow Question

Hey guys, I'm semi-new to video editing and for the first time I'm using After Effects.

My Question (remember I'm still new ):

Should I edit my video in Premier and then load the project into After Effects to add the effects? It appears that not only does premier have many of the same basic effects, but, also I can do basic editing in After Effects? Any suggestions on how I can use these two programs together for the best possible final product? Should I use them simultanously or one at a time? Suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

-Matt

Well, I look at it this way. Premiere is the editor so I do all editing in that. After Effects is the compositor, or special FX program. I use After Effects to create the short sequences I need with certain effects in then, once it's exported from there, I import those clips as assets to Premiere so I can then incorporate them into my latest masterpiece.

So basically, I look at After Effects as an asset creation program, helping me build the assets I use in Premiere.

Needless to say though, that the workflow often requires that I need to export from Premiere before I can import into After Effects.

And you're right, here are many effects you can do in Premiere without needing AE at all. For example, my little 'Phased Plasma Cat' clip was entirely made in Premiere.

Hello,

This is an interesting question that I have been wondering about recently. I have traditionally done things the way Alan Mills suggested, but I知 thinking of changing my workflow. My concern is with text. I seem to have some issues with text degrading when I re-render out of Premiere. For instance, I will do some text animation in AE for the beginning of my movie. I will then export that clip and import into Premiere. When I export the final Premiere project the text is not as crisp as it was in AE. Does anyone else see this? I知 thinking I should finish my project in Premiere, and then import the Premiere project file into AE. I could then do my text animation and export the movie from there. I知 wondering if this would keep the text looking crisp.

Alan is it possible you could do a quick test for me? Would you create a simple text animation, export it, and then import that file into Premiere? Can you see a difference in quality of the text in the timeline of Premiere? On my system it is very noticeable, I actually thought I had the quality set low. I致e tried setting my window to 100% instead for fit. It helps a little, but there is still a considerable degradation of quality.

Thanks,

James

Blog Entries

It's because DV is lossy. Minimise generation loss by importing projects, not video. Not an expert on Adobe integration, but i believe you can import a Premiere project to do compositing work.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    Allen is it possible you could...
    Who's "Allen" ??????

Ooooops! Sorry, I知 still confused from you changing to your full name

I tried coming out of AE as a lossless .mov file. I still see some loss of quality. I know I can import Premiere projects into AE, but I don稚 think I can import AE files into Premiere. I値l check on this. If you are just creating an opening sequence with text (adding rays, glows, etc), do you export that from AE and import into Premiere? How is everyone else doing this?

James