I'm new to the forum so i'll start with a bit of background on what i'm trying to achieve.
My wife is a dance teacher and they do a annual show every year. Last we used the local video guy and he was absolutely rubbish and the end product looked like one of my home movies from the 80's!
I've been editing our old movies on iMovie and thought we did a much better job from the editing perspective so we are thinking about trying to film the show ourselves. Plus, because its my wife's dance school there will be a bit more time & effort spent.
The previous video guy made his money by selling the dvd to the parents and we will look to do the same which will help fund the purchase of the camera.
We have just moved on from iMovie and have been using the new Final Cut Pro X. I know its not everyones cup of tea at the minute but I'm sure its perfect for our needs.
I'm looking for a camera that will work with the following set of criteria
1. work with final cut pro x
2. work well in low light situations ( the lights tend to be dimmed and just rely on the stage lights) His DVD footage looked quite grainy/Blurry and I think the lighting didn't help. It wasn't very clear when he focused on the dancers.
3. Shows tend to me in School halls so think we will be filming from about 50-100 feet. (this is where last years guy stood) I'm only guessing.
4. Will the camera's built in mic do a good job of picking up the music being played from school music system or will and external plug in mic be better?
5. will need a tripod for the camera as well.
I think I've asked the right questions? and apologies if my terminology isn't 100%.
Primarily i'd like to do this as a hobby but being able to help my wife will be place me in the good books.
Thanks in advance