Thread: Question About Rendering 24fps .mov files in Vegas 9

1. Default Question About Rendering 24fps .mov files in Vegas 9

Hello all,

This is my first post in this forum, but I have a feeling I am going to be posting many more questions in the future.

I am having a problem rendering the highest quality internet video for some footage I have shot. I have some SLR footage from a Canon 7D shot at 24 fps that is crisp and clear when viewed in VLC media player, but I can't find the right format and template in Vegas 9 to render at the highest quality possible. This footage will only be viewed on the Internet. I love video, but am completely new to editing, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Which templates have you tried so far.

3. Default

I've just been rendering through trial and error, the videos are generally less than 2 minutes, so it doesn't take long. But the cleanest render I have found is AVC (mp4) 1920x1080 NTSC. It results in better footage, but not as clean as I would like it to be.

I don't know if this is true for you but I find the MainConcept mpeg-2 just has the edge for image quality on the mpeg4, that might be because it suits the format I shoot in, I don't really know why.

On the custom menu, Make sure you are around 25Mbp, Some people find the two pass option is best for them but unless there is a lot of fast motion I usually stick to the single pass, set the video quality slider to high, and the the video rendering quality on the project tab to best.

It's really just a question of trial and error with the settings to find what suits your raw footage best.

Hope this helps.

San Diego, Ca, USA

You might want to adjust your Project Properties, if you haven't done so.

In the Video Tab
    On the Top, far right there's a button that looks like a little film strip."Match Media Settings" , CLICK ON IT

A window pops up to open a file. What you need to do here is choose the original video files that you want your project to adjust to. OPEN ORIGINAL FOOTAGE FILES

File/Render As...

Save as type: Sony AVC (*.pm4;*.m2ts;*.avc)

Template: Default Template

"Custom..." rightnext to "Defualt Template" tab.

All you really need to do hear is adjust the Bit rate (bps) at the bottom.

I like to keep it at 10,000 becuase it's a smaller file and it still good quality. (EXAMPLE: )

Higher Bit rate will give you a higher quality but also a larger file.

6. Default

I wanted to re visit this thread again. I have found that when I render my videos straight from Vegas using 1920x1080 NTSC that I get pretty crisp and clean footage. But when I upload to vimeo the footage takes a hit and looks compressed and a little fuzzy. A lot of the footage that is shot with the same cameras I am using that I watch on Vimeo says they are MP4s at 1280x720 or MOVs at 1280x720, and I am trying to mirror their quality.

Sorry for the ignorant questions, but I want to become a much better editor!

The reason they look as though they have taken a hit is because they have. The quality of a final piece starts long before the footage touches your computer. It's starts with your camera and it's settings in relation to the lighting conditions. Then when you down load and import into your editor this is the next stage where you take away some quality, If you do a lot of colour correction or add effects, zooms are very bad for loosing quality, Then when you have done that and you are ready to render you are limited to the quality of the codecs you have, one companies mpeg2 is not the same as another companies mpeg2.

I can't tell you which codec is the best as I don't know all the codecs out there. All I know is in Vegas, the MainConcept mpeg-2 seems to give me the best results. They may not be true for someone else, I think it depends on the format of the original codec. On reflection the mpeg 2 I use may not even be Main Concept mpeg-2 as I have to use a special plug in/codec (Raylight Ultra) to import my raw footage, as Vegas won't accept it, so it may actually be the Raylight codec that is making the mpeg2 files.

This is a very uncertain thing for most people. A brief understanding of how codecs work might be worth looking at.

Sorry if this is confusing for you, it is for most people. me included.