Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who uses free email accounts?

Blog Entries

Default Who uses free email accounts?

Those that sign-up that don't register fall into two categories:

1) Those that sign up and get their email address wrong and then wonder why they didn't get an email/sign up again with a different name

2) Those that sign up with a free email account (Yahoo, Hotmail etc)

How many of you use free email accounts and how many of you have the junk mail filter on? I'm tempted to ban free accounts on the registration page as 90% of incomplete registrations are from these users.

I have all 3, although it is the email name in my own domain that I use most.
    COMPAQ something or other with 500Gb Boot Disk, 1Tb external Firewire Disk, 4Gb Memory and a super duper sound card, 19" TFT Monitor etc etc etc
    Sony TRV33e : Sony TRV310e : Canon XM2
    Sony Vegas Studio editions to v11

Remember, there is always more to learn than there is to teach.

I use both the one from my ISP (aol) and a free one from hotmail, but thats mainly used for MSN messenger

up until recently I used the one I have at Uni', but I'm now changing over to using my hotmail one more, as I finish uni soon, so I don't want any important stuff being sent to the wrong one.

I have the junk filter on, but I tend to check it regularly, I might just turn it off as it's not that good anyway.
    Panasonic SD9, Panasonic NVGS-75, Canon MV600i

I use Gmail (although I use it through an alias - mike =at= team fishcake dot co dot you kay) with the SPAM! filter on ... i think it's just a case of people having the junk mail flter. Maybe another bit on the reg screen saying "if you use hotmail/whatever, your junk mail filter might mark the confirmation email as spam by accident. check your spam folder"

What difference does it make? Doesn't the system discard incomplete signups after a few days?

I usually use my gmail account, which is a free one obviously. It's also tons better than amy isp-provided pop account, and isn't isp-specific. It really pisses me off when boards are anti-freemail, as it's an inconvenience.

For those that are, i use my gmx mail, which is, surprise surprise, free as well. It's just not on any banned lists.

It's far easier to access your webmail when you're out and about, and these days gmail etc are far better than anything your isp would provide.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Blog Entries

What difference does it make? Doesn't the system discard incomplete signups after a few days?
    Nope, this isn't a feature of phpbb 2.x, and I have to manually delete inactive users periodically. If I don't do this, I get a deluge of address not known errors on bulk email sends. It also serves to bloat the DB.

It really pisses me off when boards are anti-freemail, as it's an inconvenience.
    It's also a security and spam issue: spammers use free email accounts, but rarely not. Typically if anything member related is an issue, it would be related to a free email address. Take this out of the loop and you reduce a lot of problems!

It's far easier to access your webmail when you're out and about, and these days gmail etc are far better than anything your isp would provide.
    The best solution is to use your hosting account if you have one. I use squirrelmail to check my email on the move, and if I made use of my IMAP connection, I'd be able to view all my emails anywhere, anytime... without adverts and with virtually limitless space.

I won't ban free email addresses, but it does cause administrators more hassle by allowing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Nope, this isn't a feature of phpbb 2.x, and I have to manually delete inactive users periodically. If I don't do this, I get a deluge of address not known errors on bulk email sends. It also serves to bloat the DB.
    Is there a mod you could install? It'd save you the bother.

It really pisses me off when boards are anti-freemail, as it's an inconvenience.
    It's also a security and spam issue: spammers use free email accounts, but rarely not. Typically if anything member related is an issue, it would be related to a free email address. Take this out of the loop and you reduce a lot of problems!
    Yep, i understand this.

The best solution is to use your hosting account if you have one. I use squirrelmail to check my email on the move, and if I made use of my IMAP connection, I'd be able to view all my emails anywhere, anytime... without adverts and with virtually limitless space.

I won't ban free email addresses, but it does cause administrators more hassle by allowing them.
    I don't have hosting, unfortunately. I have no real use for it, tbh. I've seen a few deals, based in the US and Canada that are fantastically cheap, so i might end up sorting out some hosting, just for hosting files, photos and videos, but it's a bit of an inconvenience just for email.

The problem is that hosting (+email) costs, isp popmail is isp-specific (so if you leave that isp, it's gone, and you have to tell everyone you know, again), and free mail is great (these days, it used to be shit) but insecure in the respect mentioned above.
    AMD Athlon 1700 (@2200mhz from 1466 sod the noise!) - 768mb pc3200 - 200GB Maxtor - Pioneer 106 - GF4 Ti4200 - twinhan/visionplus pci dvb-t - random pci analogue tv tuner - A7v600-x (to replace the a7n8x-d that died...) - random 17\" CRT
    Sony STR-DE425 & Eltax c205s;
    xBox w/20GB HDD- executer 2.3b;
    xBox - standard;
    Konica/Minolta dimage z10 w/2x512mb SD;
    iRiver h340;
    A silly amount of Cat-5 and usb cables

Blog Entries

I have a mod, but it still involves manual intervention.

1) It would have to involve a cron job whatsitface too (and I can't be arsed to get that sorted out).

2) Some people just need a poke to complete the registration, or I resend the email to what I think is the correct address.

I have no real use for it, tbh. I've seen a few deals, based in the US and Canada that are fantastically cheap, so I might end up sorting out some hosting, just for hosting files, photos and videos, but it's a bit of an inconvenience just for email.
    How much would you want to spend on a hosting account geared to email? I'm a reseller, so I "buy" space on bulk as it were. And the beautiful thing about having your own domain is that it's always going to be yours (as long as you don't forget to pay!).

Incidently, just bought the domain vlogz.co.uk. Aparently vlogs (the video version of the blog) are going to be the next big thing, so I thought I'd try and get in on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Incidently, just bought the domain vlogz.co.uk. Aparently vlogs (the video version of the blog) are going to be the next big thing, so I thought I'd try and get in on it!
    Hows that gunna work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast