Thread: Wirelessly view/record camcorder output on laptop?

Default Wirelessly view/record camcorder output on laptop?

Complete noob here.

I'm just trying to work out how easy/hard it would be to setup my camcorder and(wirelessly) view and record the output on a laptop, say 100 metres away.

What are my options? Would I need two laptops, one at the camcorder and another(the viewer) with some kind of wireless ad-hoc connection between the two?

Is this even possible?

Hey flobabob,

Just a few questions to see what your limits are:
    1) Do you need to send wirelessly because you can't run video cable 100 meters away, (i.e. your camera and pc are in a separate building and it would be too costly to run cable)?
    2) Are you only needing record control (start and stop), where you're not needing additional options remotely?

-Mike

I wouldn't say I needed to send it wirelessly, I would just prefer to!
    It would be setup outside and there wouldnt be any problem with running a video cable directly from the camera. I'm just curious as to what my options would be and if it was possible.

I'm more of a computer guy than a camera guy and I have a few laptops laying around so thought it might be an option.

I wouldn't need anything advanced remote options, just basically recording what I can see.

Ok, gotcha.

Yes, you can setup some sort of remote accessing software such as Teamviewer on 2 computers, and then remotely control the importing abilities on the other pc. It will be laggy though. If you're on the same local network, you may get 15fps, but if it's through the web, you'll be limited to like 3-5 fps. Now this is only limiting your preview... obviously the final footage on the local pc will be the proper frame rate, (24 or 30 or whatever).

Will it work, yes. But it will be laggy and you'll be somewhat limited, (can't change camera functions, can't monitor audio, etc).

-Mike

there are many cheap video senders available that arent too bad with 'line of sight' but put a wall in the way and youre goosed.
    not sure why you would want to use two laptops but if you did you could use something like 'ustream' and webstream the camera signal and collect it at any location [subject to internet connection]..?

Mike - Thanks, I'll have a look at that teamviewer software.

click - It's not that I want to use 2 laptops, just thought it might be an option.

It's not particularly important, was just an idea I had and wondered if I could make it work with what I already have.

Sure. Hope it works out for you.