Thread: 3d hd

Default 3d hd

hey guys!

I have a youtube channel (YouTube - ‪RobertPeetersPiano's Channel‬‏) where I upload my own compositions and covers. I do (very basic) video editing, just cross-fades between shots. But I was interested in making my clips 3D enabled. I saw that you can do that with youtube, by adding a special tag (and of course a special video format..). The most interesting part about that, is that you still can watch it in 2D, and it supports multiple 3D formats. But I have a few questions about that:

- I want to make the 3D video with 2 (identical) cameras. I searched to find what the distance between those 2 has to be, but couldn't find anything.
    - Can you make good 3d with 2 separate cameras? or do you need a special 3D camera?
    - Do you loose quality when you watch the clip in 2D? (because you have to scale the 2 frames 50% in length I thought)
    - Is it worth it? Because most of the clips I've seen in 3D aren't that good. They don't work or they only work partially. (I have to say that I am watching with self-made blue/red glasses)
    - what software do you use to edit HD videos? I use corel X3, but I think it's really sloooooow. I have a W7, intel I7 @ 1.66 ghz and 4 gig of ram.
    - do you need special video editing software to make 3D clips?

thanx!

A program that might be worth checking out for 3D is Movie Edit Pro - Video editing software by MAGIX a friend of mine recently bought it from Amazon and it came with 3D glasses and cost less than downloading the program of the net.

I think it looks a good program the only down side I could see was it didn't automaticly close up spaces between clips like Corel does but it does have rubber band transition control between tracks like Premiere does.

Bryan

"I want to make the 3D video with 2 (identical) cameras. I searched to find what the distance between those 2 has to be, but couldn't find anything. "
    Search for 'interocular distance'.

"can you make good 3d with 2 separate cameras? or do you need a special 3D camera?"
    I have created anaglyphs using two cheap Flip cameras. They are cheap and don't record anything particularly well in most conditions.
    With 2 cams, it is also not possible to ensure that the frames are recorded at precisely the same time.

"Do you loose quality when you watch the clip in 2D? (because you have to scale the 2 frames 50% in length I thought)"
    Certainly yes if you are using side by side frames (visible to the viewer by crossing their eyes).
    And yes with anaglyphs because it can be difficult to prevent confusion around the edges of the frames (ie: where some of the area can only be seen by one camera).

"Is it worth it? Because most of the clips I've seen in 3D aren't that good. They don't work or they only work partially. (I have to say that I am watching with self-made blue/red glasses)"
    I paid 12 UKP for a superior set of red/cyan glasses. For anaglyphs, it is very important to have glasses of the correct colour. When buying them, there are several sets available, eg: red/cyan or red/green.
    I regret that homemade glasses (using sweet wrappers from Quality Street choccies) will not work very well.
    Sadly, most of the YouTube examples of anaglyphs are not good because the video compression can introduce unwanted colouring and antialiasing. Perhaps there are better examples on other sites, such as Vimeo.

Hi Tim, I unfortunately don't have binocular vision so it's all a mystery to me, but from what I gleaned from a friend that watched some professionally made 3D it sounded as if the video was done in progressive scan at 50 fps or 60 if you are NTSC and the 2 separate video clips used alternate frames to create the 3D effect, so they don't need to be scaled, just color separated. it could also mean you don't have to worry about absolute sync between the video clips just the normal audio or clapper board sync.

As for the distance between the cameras I would have thought it would be only a few inches as our eyes aren't that far apart, from what I was told by my optician people only see in 3D to about 20ft so I suppose if you space the cameras further apart you would get a much greater effect but it could look unnatural.

Just another thought on the subject if you were to go to high definition I think you would be limited to 1280x720P as I haven't seen a program that will encode 1920x1080 at 50P or 60P but that will probably change in the future.

Bryan