Thread: Starting Off

1. Default Starting Off

Me and a friend have been making a few short videos and would appreciate if someone more experienced in film making (yourselves) could give us some advice on maybe improving, much love Tom and Ben

Future Frames -

Bump and Jump -

Homeless Vampire -

The Chase -

Would also appreciate subs, comments and likes <3

Well done lads. I think it's a good idea to make these little vignettes to practice your AE skills. I like the Future frames one best as it shows you did some forward planning and have a sense of humour. As for pointers in the filming. I would suggest practise using the camera in full manual mode. So you get use to adjusting the focus manually, the iris to set the exposure etc. These skillswill help you to improve the image quality and get the shots you will want when you get more ambitious later on. I don't know what camera you're using but I'm sure you can get some manual controls from it. In the chase for example, when the guy gets out of the car he is really dark, Ok I know he's a black dude but I mean the shot of him was under exposed, This was because of the angle of the camera in relation to the direction of the light (the sun). The camera tried to adjust to what it thought was right but in reality it was to dark.

Keep making these little movies but try and get a bit of a story to them. Develop characters etc. Emotionally engage the viewer.

Good luck.

3. Default

Thanks bro, actually really good advice <3

Asheville, NC USA

Hey crazyQUARTERasian,

Nice work! Great creativity!

I’ll be happy to give you my 2 cents worth. I'll just list a few points.

I agree with Midnight Blue, you’ll want to shoot everything manually. Several of your shots were under and over exposed (too bright or too dark).

Establishing shot. All of your videos started abruptly into the action without showing a wide establishing shot first. You’ll want to start a new scene with a wide shot showing the location before you cut to your tight shots. This helps pull your audience in.

Another area to work on is cropping and lead-room. Several of your shots you gave the subject too much head room. The average person’s tendency is to center a subject’s head. Big mistake in the film world.

Also, lead room… several scenes you had your subject walking from sideways right to left, but you had their body centered in the middle of the frame. You’ll want to give them about 2/3 lead room depending on the direction they are walking. Example: If they are walking from right to left of your frame, you’ll want to keep their body filling 1/3 of the frame on the right side, giving a nice amount of “lead room” on the left.

Audio. We obviously need pro audio to complete our films. However making your audio professional to match your pro video will help keep your audience engaged and interested in your video. Stay away from using ambient mics, these are the mics integrated into your video cameras. When creating a film, we always use a shotgun mic and record it to another device separate from the camera. (Note: you can connect the mic to your camera via XLR or 1/8’ phono jack, but it’s another cable to trip on and break your equipment, plus you’re limited movement wise, dragging a cable behind the camera).

Having a shotgun mic allows professional clear audio (aiming your boom mic at subjects/action from a few feet away). You then have full control over your audio in post (editing). In post, you can eq your audio as well as mix it with ambient environment sounds to help complete the scene. Several of your scenes included wind blowing on your camera’s mic which was a distraction and I couldn’t hear your lines.

Another audio option, using a shotgun mic on a boom pole requires another person (boom op), so you could always not use the boom mic and just re-dub your lines again in post (ADR - Automated Dialogue Replacement. This can be harder for you in post, but it’s another option and makes things easier for you in the field when you’re shooting.

Audio transitions. You didn’t have any audio transitions between your different cuts, so the audio abruptly changes with the different ambient sound changes. You can fade the 2 audio tracks together in your editing software and this will help blend the two audio sources together, preventing the distracting audio change.

Remember there’s always something new to learn. I’ve been in the film making business for 16 years, and I’m still learning new things. ☺

Hope this helped you guys out.

You're well on your way!

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

I too enjoyed Future Frames best. Good work with the motion tracking. Not only did your technical abilities improve as the films got more recent, but your ability to tell a story did as well.
    Very good all round comments from Midnight and MikeGJr.
    I'd add another option to the micing options, which is to use a tie clip (lavalier) mic - either plugged into a digital recorder worn by the talent or into a wireless transmitter, with a wireless receiver connected to the camera or another digital recording device.

6. Default

Thanks alot mate i will take into account everything you said, also saving for mic, what would u recommend budget between 100-200 quid?

7. Default

Great, stuff, haha. I think they show great understanding of basic theories in story telling and film production, especially with the camera pan transitions. Keep focusing on that, and maybe even try new techniques beyond panning! For the action sequence in the last vid, here's a link to some action/film fighting tutorials my partner-in-crime and I have made. I saw some parts with the punches that could've been choreographed a little more smoothly.

Last edited by WonJohnSoup; 07-11-2011 at 01:57 AM.