Hello. I may be just about to buy a second hand Sony HVR-A1E for 900€.
The price seems to be about right (I saw one go for that on ebay). However, I'm trying to compare it to other machines, new and second-hand and its proving hard to decide.
The disadvantages of this machine appear to be:
- It records to mini-dv in HDV, a format on the way out not onto an SD card in AVCHD. Wear and tear on minidv drums and mechanisms lead to favour SD.
- The cassette loads from underneath and so the cam needs to be dismounted from a tripod to load a cassette.
- Its not big enough: while this is a sales advantage (its compact) some would say that a big shoulder mounted cam looks better for PR. Also it has no handle and cannot be shoulder mounted.
- Optical zoom is only 10x while a run of the mill general camcorder does 40x
- Uses single module CMOS not 3CCD
- no HDMI but firewire is ok
- Its compact (but not light)
- Has XLR mic inputs
- It has lots of funky settings that I don't yet know how to use
- Supplied with a wide angle lens, 2 batteries and a light (looks like a flash)
- Low usage (40 hours)
- A new entry level semi-pro camcorder such as Sony HVR-HD1000E is 1400€ without accessories.
My needs for now are journalistic but I may film danse show in low light / from 30 m. I'm wondering if this cam can do both jobs.
Your light on this matter appreciated, Tx