Thread: Now that the sun's smiling...

Blog Entries

Default Now that the sun's smiling...

The sun was shining, so I walked out of the front door and the 100 metres to the harbour where there was a gig race going on.

The first outing for the little Canon avchd this year, the missus dusted off her Nikon and we spent a pleasant hour playing with our toys.

Do I miss the big lights of the city...?

Nah!
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 06-28-2011 at 03:17 PM.

I loved the cameo role, you falling into the little boat.

Nice video Rob.

Yes. Very good.
    I am curious. How many mins of 'recording' did you take, to produce this final clip? I am curious whether anyone has preconceptions or general expectation of what % will 'fall on the cutting room floor'.

Blog Entries

I've got 12 mins of raw recordings in total. Mainly because this was a "let's see what's happening in the harbour" rather than a video project. Also, I hate having hours of footage to edit down to a three minute tune. To be honest though this was a bit thin and the wife's photos rescued the edit as I was lacking about 20 seconds of cutaways, which her stills filled nicely.

The missus is very understanding but I've learn not to push it too much on a "day out" by turning a stroll into a video production. Luckily she's a keen photographer so I can grab a few shots when she's glued to the viewfinder.

Blog Entries

Enjoyable watch Rob. And 12 mins of raw footage? <ultply that by ten and you'll have a good idea of how much I would have needed to shoot

Blog Entries

That should do nicely for the local tourist information centre (if they can pay for the rights to the music).
    Just what a montage should be. Captures the atmosphere well.
    I presume it was all handheld - and I presume you balanced teh camera on something when doing the focus shot at 2:30.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Cheers Tim. Yeah, all handheld (but with assistance from anything I could lean on for the tele shots) The focus shift was done by holding my hand in front of the lens so that the AF shifted to its nearest setting, then moving it quickly away and letting the AF focus itself.

I am constantly amazed at how crisp this little camera is at times!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    The focus shift was done by holding my hand in front of the lens so that the AF shifted to its nearest setting, then moving it quickly away and letting the AF focus itself.
    Perfect. I love little cheats like that!
    Tim