Thread: Shooting settings on JVC GY HM100

Default Shooting settings on JVC GY HM100

Hi all
    am enjoying my new JVC and getting lots of opportunity to shoot but am somewhat confused by the range of shoot settings on the "System Selects" menu which include:
    10-50/25 (appears to be the default)

Ive not yet tried anything outside of the default yet as its an area i must clearly do some learning about
    please can someone walk me through the settings above and explain what they mean and when one needs what setting?

The 1080 and the 720 are the sizes of the video, where 1080 is full HD size. This means the more pixels the better the resolution of the image but the bigger the file size. The 60/30 is the frame rate ie frames per second. The 60 means it is interlaced at 30 frames per second. As you are in the UK you would be better off using the 50/25 as this is the UK standard so you can play your movies in a DVD/TV. So 50/25 means it is interlaced at 25 frames per second. Just what the 10-50/25 is I would guess a typo which should be 1080-50/25.

The 1080-24 is the standard frame rate for a film camera. Some people think that shooting at 24fps makes the video look more film like.

I would recommend you shoot the same thing at all the different settings and look at the footage yourself. So you can decide on what you think looks best for what you want.

Hope this helps.

The 60/30 and 50/25 certainly does look like it's fields/frames, which would be the same thing for interlaced video settings, 60 fields across the 30 frames etc. But somethings strange here. I just checked the JVC website where it says it also shoots 50 and 60 frames per second, which I thought it did.

But they should be separate menu choices from 30 and 25.

Something else is strange, you have 720-50/25 and 720-60/30, which if going by the above would mean it's shooting 720 resolution, with interlaced fields. Which it doesn't do. Making me think the 60/30 and 50/25 means 60 frames per second/progressive scan, 50 frames per second/progressive scan, 30 frames per second/progressive scan and 25 frames per second/progressive scan. But then how can they be the same menu choice.

If you select either of them do you get another option to chose?

Something else doesn't ring properly, if that is correct then you have only listed progressive settings and the camera does also do interlaced. I'd imagine in 2 flavours 1080 60i (30 frames per second) and 1080 50i (25 frames per second).

Whoa! A can-o-worms!
    Firstly, none of the above settings I listed have sub-menus BUT (and the above come from the "System Select" menu) there is another menu called "Rec Mode" which has three more settings:
    - 1920/50i (HQ)
    - 1440/50i (SP)
    - 1920/25p (HQ)

This actually came about because when I load my footage into Premier Pro there is another bewildering range of editing formats to select. Using the defaults (usually a good place to start!) the film comes in fine but it appears much bigger than the available editing area (white grab l ines appear allowng the film image to be re-sized) suggesting that the receiving are (ie the editing area) is expecting a smaller format than the space occupied by the incoming film. I dont want to have to re-size every clip to fit the editing window

I really should RTFM (er, read the effin' manual) but that's almost as bewildering. Meanwhile I will test each format and see what they look like and I much appreciate your feedback/tolerance (?) chaps.

If the above makes sense you will understand why I have a headache!

Ok, I've know idea what the setting are in your first post but these in the "Rec Mode" are the recording settings. Just as I said before the big number is the size of the image and the small number is the frame rate BUT you have got 1920 and a 1440 which are kind of the same size but the 1920 has square pixels and the 1440 has horizontally stretched pixels which make them the same size as the 1920 when viewing on a screen. The i means interlaced and the p means progressive. The i & p is the way the image is made up, in progressive mode you get one whole frame at a time in interlaced mode you get half on the odd rows of pixels then half on the even rows of pixels. That sounds odd but we have been watching TV's like this for years. To understand these terms better have a look on YouTube for explanations.

Reading the manual will help with your understanding of the camera.

When you understand the properties of what you shot with the camera you just need to match the same settings in the editing program.

Ok, I have a little feeling here. It maybe wrong, but it's a strong hunch. If you have the first menu you listed set to the default 1080 50/25 (I'm also assuming you originally had a typo) then those 3 new settings you posted would suit this.

You set the first menu for 1080 resolution (number of pixels high) at PAL matching frame rates, 50 or 25, 50 being 25 frames per second made up of 50 interlaced fields, 25 being 25 progressive frames per second i.e. no fields.

(PAL doesn't really exist with HD but we use the same frame rates as PAL SD for HD in the UK)

So then your rec. mode menu offers the three available choices for your selection in the longer menu. 1920 pixels wide, with square pixels (either 50i or 25p) or 1440 with rectanlge pixels (50i also 1080 high).

I'd be willing to gamble that if you changed the longer menu to 1080 60/30 then go back to the rec. mode menu you would have different options that would read

- 1920/60i (HQ)
    - 1440/60i (SP)
    - 1920/30p (HQ)

These are the NTSC matching frame rates that the USA (and other places) use.

The 720 settings in the first menu should give you different options that are 720 pixels high and 1280 wide with square pixels, also with the relevant choices of different frame rates. There is a very long shot that there will be a version with 960 rectangular pixels wide, but I think it's only Panasonic that use this.

I can't seem to think where your 50 and 60 frames per second options would be.

I think you've nailed it David.

I think so, it would make sense.