Thread: Need editor to "trim" asf files without converting.

Default Need editor to "trim" asf files without converting.

Apologies that this is so basic, but I'm hoping to find experienced heads here.

All I'm doing is using VLC* to record the stream from a camera on a bird's nest. I need to be able to trim off and/or cut out excess bits of recordings so that people I share them with don't have to sit thru minutes of nothing happening to get to an interesting bit.

*I'm using VLC because I can continue surfing/working while it records the stream, unlike programs which record from my screen; also, it records in asf, which is beautifully quick to upload to YouTube - unlike wmv which the program I bought, Debut, turns out.

I have SolveigMM on trial and it does the job nicely, but I really cannot afford to purchase it for this little job, when the rest of its resources would be totally wasted. I cannot find a free or super-cheap program to do the job, Machete Lite does my wmv but won't do asf.

Quality is not crucial because the original stream is so grainy. Speed is the thing

I do hope someone can advise. Oh! this is the bird's nest (osprey), in case one is curious: Scotland

scylla

Thanks very much for the suggestions. These are programs that I looked at on CNet but did not try because of the reviews. However, I've installed VidSplitter and had a go:

VidSplitter trial

I was so happy to see that they made selecting an output file so easy, not hidden away in the menus.

Input was a 7m12s, 12,609kb .asf file. Ended up with 21 .avi files when I thought I was simply trimming off the end and had specified no compression (had no idea about all the selections offered).

As reviewers on CNet have said, there's no help or instructions. Their excuse seems to be that it's "very easy to use. thet's why any even newbie to video splitter can manage it".

Well this newbie cannot understand it I won't try the other one, given the reviews CNet.

I'm hoping against hope that there are members here with years and years of experience who remember using .asf (I'm told it's old so not supported by Microsoft any more).

scylla
    Last edited by scylla; 06-26-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Your unlikely to find someone with years of experience using .asf, it's not really (and never has been) a format that's much good for anything. I just installed that VidSplitter to see if I could help, it seems it doesn't support outputting .asf

David.

It's kind of you to go to that trouble, David When I said "someone with years 'n years of experience" I meant someone who remembered using it "back in the day", hopefully an old pro who knows everything

"asf" is good for something, and that is very fast uploading to YouTube.

I just succeeded with today's Giveaway of the Day, TIPARD*. It outputs "HD asf" (well that's what it says but the quality of output is just as pants as the input ) but it takes longer than, say, Machete would with a wmv file and it's not as easy to see what you're doing. I think it takes too long to use for immediate editing but may be OK for editing at leisure. A nice coincidence that they're offering it today.

*If anyone's interested Giveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Tipard Video Converter - Tipard Video Converter is a multi-functional video converting application, which can be taken as a general video converter, HD video converter and audio converter.

scylla
    Last edited by scylla; 06-26-2011 at 05:56 PM.

No problem it only taken a few seconds.

someone who remembered using it "back in the day"
    No one was really using it for anything serious. Before I changed from analoge to digital I got a little dirt cheap handheld camera that captured .asf, but I instantly converted it before working with the files and moved onto MiniDV before long.

(well that's what it says but the quality of output is just as pants as the input )
    Do't worry about that, you wont be able to get your source video quality better than it started off.

It is good for something, and that is very fast uploading to YouTube.
    It's good, and sometimes a surprise, to see that someone has a use for certain things. If your happy with the results from the freeby you found then there's no worries. If not, and I can't be certain, but you may find that it isn't the .asf format that is getting you the faster uploads. If you were to look into bitrates and frame sizes, find what settings you are using with your .asf, and apply similar settings to another format you may find you get the same speeds.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    If you were to look into bitrates and frame sizes, find what settings you are using with your .asf, and apply similar settings to another format you may find you get the same speeds.
    Bitrates and frame sizes

I'll investigate. Many thanks for the tip.

scylla

I believe ASF was developed by Microsoft at the time they hoped their own server based video streaming system would become dominant; they hoped everyone would want to package their WMV/WMA file into ASF containers and stream them from 'Windows Media Server'. I think that Windows 'Movie Maker' supports ASF file. And perhaps re-naming the files as .WMV might then allow them to be accessed by a wider range of video editing applications.

Thanks for the idea, Tim, but it didn't fool Machete - it still instructed me to select a "key frame", which I have no idea how to do.

I'm practising with Tipard, hoping it will all come good.

scylla