Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24p recorder

Default 24p recorder

I'm currently shooting 24p on a Sony HDR-FX1000. It uses a standard 3:2 pulldown to put it to tape as 60i HDV, I then remove the pulldown in After Effects.

I'm now considering the possibilities of some form of HDD or Memory Card recorder. Does anyone know of any that would allow me to get the 24p straight to the recorder without messing around with 60i and pulldowns?

David.

Andy got himself a Datavideo DN60 which he likes but I've never used one so don't know if it fits all your spec. As far as I'm aware these external recorders simply by pass the camera recording mechanisum, so it will record what ever frame rate you are shooting at but not the compression the camera would normally put on it. Depending on your budget and work flow your could take a look at the Atmos Ninja if you edit in FCP. It recorded Qicktime Pro Res. and records at I think 250Mb which is more than good enough for most people.

Thanks Midnight, I've already looked intot he Ninja, it doesn't do the reverse telecini. It captures the 24p with the pulldown as 60i so still needs done in post. I'll look into the Datavideo DN60 and see how it deals with things.

David.

I've now been able to confirm that the camera only outputs 60i, you can't get the 24p even directly from HDMI. So a data recorder that does reverse telecine is needed. But the FX1000 doesn't flag the pulldown. So I'm not even sure if such a device exists that it would work with the FX1000.

If anyone stumbles accross any further info in the next 2 weeks it would be much apreciated. I'll post here too if I find anything as it may be useful to someone.

And sadly the Datavideo DN60 doesn't do reverse telecine.

David.

I think the search is over. I found somewhere that the nanoflash does reverse telecine, but whether it's true or only does it through HD-SDI (which can normally put out 24p from cameras with it anyway) and not HDMI I don't know. But for the price of it upgrading the camera would be an option (but I wont take that option). So if anyones considering they could look into this. I may still consider just getting the 60i stream on to memory cards and doing the pull down removal in post.

Andy, are you able to tell me if your DN60 is switchable to 60i or if it's a separate model for US cameras. The info I can find isn't so clear. How are you getting on with it, is it doing good?

Anyone any recomendations? or bad points about any recorders? I was thinking if I could have got reverse telecine somewhere not much above 1000 would be worth while. Maybe for just getting the 60i but perhaps with I-frame encoding I'd consider around 700/800. But just to get what I'm geting on tape anyway I'd like to keep below 500 unless there are any other benifits I've overlooked or not considered.

David.

Using something like the Ninja you can record at much higher bit rates. On the Ninja it says you can record at 250Mbps. This is the biggest advantage over recording on to tape.

Blog Entries

The Ninja's looking like a favourite so far, Apples ProRes 422 obviously has the higher colour space to HDV's 420, the higher bitrates as you mention and it's I-frame encoding. So it's looking worthwhile. Recording to HHD or SSD is also a bonus, but I'm not yet sure if I'd rather use memory cards.

David.

I hadn't seen that one Tim, thanks. I'll take a look.

David.

The HyperDeck Shuttle looked ideal at first, but the uncompressed file sizes were the first issue to consider. Less than an hour on a 512gb SSD at around 800 per SSD is a bit of a put off, I'd also want the 24p pulldown removal for that. But it made me aware of something else, it turns out your average price SSD's aren't great from continuous recording so who knows how much a high quality SSD would cost over the previous figure. At least I've learned (for cost reasons) to keep away from SSD's at the moment.

David.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast