Thread: Will video editing software in full HD work smoothly on this computer?

Default Will video editing software in full HD work smoothly on this computer?

Hi,

I'm trying to build a PC for full-HD video editing (1280p 30 fps) in Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere and perhaps Adobe After Effects.

Here's my rig so far: https://www.inet.se/kundvagn/visa/557343/2011-06-24

Do you think it'll be able to handle it smoothly? i7 2600k (4 cores at 3.4 GHz), 8 GB 1600 MHz RAM, SSD through SATA 6.0 Gbit/s, Z68 chipset motherboard,
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 550Ti OC 1GB.

I'd appreciate feedback, suggestions and so on!

Thanks a lot in advance!

It's not quite that simple, It's a good spec. computer which will be well capable of editing HD footage but the smoothness of the running will depend on what colour correction, special FX, transitions, number of video tracks, the type of software being used, the format of raw footage, etc. The more you do to a video, the harder the PC has to work to play it smoothly. BUT like I said this seems like a good spec for HD editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    It's not quite that simple, It's a good spec. computer which will be well capable of editing HD footage but the smoothness of the running will depend on what colour correction, special FX, transitions, number of video tracks, the type of software being used, the format of raw footage, etc. The more you do to a video, the harder the PC has to work to play it smoothly. BUT like I said this seems like a good spec for HD editing.
    My projects won't be all that complicated, usually not much more than two or three video tracks at once, less than 15 minutes in length. I'm not an avid user of transitions and all that, I'll just mix different angles and so on (thus one or two video channels), maybe put on some slow motion effects - I'll be making music videos pretty much exclusively.

Default Hyperthreading

One of the main issues in playing video transitions in HD is whether your computer's CPU has hyperthreading. This is the case on AVID Liquid software anyway. It will play HD footage but not transitions.

for basic editing that set up should be OK for you. i have a lesser spec machine and it handles 1080p fine. but like MB says once you start adding colour correction and FX things get a bit more complicated.

i have an i5 Intel Processor 3.2GHz, 8GB RAM, and a 1GB Video card and my 1080p full HD videos run very smoothly. Every now and then the video might get a bit choppy when i go heavy on the effects, but other then that, everything is fine. Those specs are better then mine, you should be good to go.

Alright, thanks everyone! I'm pretty sure the 2600K has hyperthreading (4 cores + 4 virtual cores).